Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
js js is offline

Default Need Keystroke to Close Styles Box in Word 2007

I like using styles in MS Word and I like to be able to use keystrokes and
avoid using the mouse because of my hands. I used keystrokes for something in
MS Word 2003 that I cant figure out in MS Word 2007.

In 2003 when I used the keys ctrlshifts the Styles box on the Formatting
toolbar would be activated and I could use the up and down keys to highlight
a style; use the enter key to select it. Then the style box was deactivated
and the cursor would be back ready to type.

However, I have been forced to use MS Word 2007. Now I can still use the
keys ctrlshifts but it opens the Styles box as a separate pane. I can
still use the up and down keys to highlight a style. But when I hit the enter
key to select the style, the style box remains open and I cant seem to find
a keystroke to close it. Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

ESC doesn't close it but does return focus to the document. When you press
Ctrl+Shift+S again, the focus returns to the Apply Styles box. In Fact,
clicking the title bar of the box (even though it looks like a dialog)
doesn't reactivate it, but clicking in the Style Name box does.

http://word.mvps.org

"JS" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

You can add the Style box to the QAT and use keyboard shortcuts.
Press Alt to show the shortcut numbers for items on the QAT, type the
number, then you can use the arrow keys and Enter. You can also
manually type letters to scroll down the list to the desired style
name, then press Enter and the style is applied with no dialog box
open.

Cheryl

On Apr 15, 6:08*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
ESC doesn't close it but does return focus to the document. When you press
Ctrl+Shift+S again, the focus returns to the Apply Styles box. In Fact,
clicking the title bar of the box (even though it looks like a dialog)
doesn't reactivate it, but clicking in the Style Name box does.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"JS" wrote in message

news
[...]

Mike Rodent Mike Rodent is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Flanders View Post
You can add the Style box to the QAT and use keyboard shortcuts.
Press Alt to show the shortcut numbers for items on the QAT, type the
number, then you can use the arrow keys and Enter. You can also
manually type letters to scroll down the list to the desired style
name, then press Enter and the style is applied with no dialog box
open.

Cheryl
Just to flesh out this answer:
1. First (using Word Options -- Customize) add the "Styles..." command to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar)
2. Then make a macro like this:

Sub mDismissStylesBox()
'
' NB assumes that the "Styles..." command has been put in the "Quick Access Toolbar"
' by Customise...
'
CommandBars("Styles").Visible = False
End Sub

3. Then assign a hotkey to this macro
4. To dismiss the box you first have to press "Escape", then the hotkey you have set. NB including a "press Escape" command in the macro doesn't work

Be aware that there are two commands available which don't use the annoyingly undismissable "Styles..." box, but instead bring up older version of style-management dialogues. Both can be assigned hotkeys:

FormatStyle "Applies, creates or modifies styles"
FormatStyleManagement "Manage your stylesheet"

To apply a hotkey to either or both of these, go to Customize Keyboard and look under the Category "Commands Not in the Ribbon" or "All Commands".