M. Johnson

Default Mail Merge Field Stripping

Hello all. Is it possible to save a copy of a word document that is
stripped of all mail merge fields? I found the "Main document setup" button
on the mail merge toolbar, and checked the radio button "Normal Word
Document" (what a co-worker told me to do), and that makes it impossible to
switch to the next/previous record, but the text that was inserted is still
a field. Is there another way? Perhaps with VBA to do this? Or am I
missing something completely obvious here? Thanks in advance.

Graham Mayor

You want to strip the merge documents of fields ie a normal document, as you
have been told, but you still want the data from the individual records (the
fields) available? This doesn't make any sense. What you may require is to
actually perform the merge to a new document?

M. Johnson wrote:
Hello all. Is it possible to save a copy of a word document that is
stripped of all mail merge fields? I found the "Main document setup"
button on the mail merge toolbar, and checked the radio button
"Normal Word Document" (what a co-worker told me to do), and that
makes it impossible to switch to the next/previous record, but the
text that was inserted is still a field. Is there another way?
Perhaps with VBA to do this? Or am I missing something completely
obvious here? Thanks in advance.

M. Johnson

No, you got that backwards. What I want is just a normal document (what's
showing where there are fields should no longer be fields, but just text).
However, when I convert it to a "normal document", it is still referencing
the excel file (I get a popup asking me if I want to "connect and SQL
datasource" or something to that effect...by the way, how do you get rid of
this popup?). But inside the file, the mail merge buttons are grayed out,
so it doesn't make sense. Hope this helps explain it.

M. Johnson wrote:
Hello all. Is it possible to save a copy of a word document that is
stripped of all mail merge fields? I found the "Main document setup"
button on the mail merge toolbar, and checked the radio button
"Normal Word Document" (what a co-worker told me to do), and that
makes it impossible to switch to the next/previous record, but the
text that was inserted is still a field. Is there another way?
Perhaps with VBA to do this? Or am I missing something completely
obvious here? Thanks in advance.

Graham Mayor

I can't reproduce this. If the document type is changed from a merge
document to a normal word document then saved and closed, it becomes
detached from its data file and so the pop-up doesn't appear when the
document is re-opened. You can convert the fields to text with CTRL+A then
CTRL+SHIFT+F9