Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laurie Laurie is offline

Default Barcode fonts don't seem to work when using mail merge.

I am doing a basic labels mail merge, but one piece of my information needs
to be in a barcode font -- 3 of 9. The cell indicator and/or the surrounding
carrots on the field name are being included in the font conversion making
the barcode unreadable. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would display the underlying field codes using Alt-F9. You will probably
see a field code such as

{ MERGEFIELD mybarcode \*Mergeformat }

If you see something like

mybarcode

then you have probably already (somehow) converted the mergefield to text .
If not, maybe the result you are seeing where the chevrons are converted to
barcode font chanracters is because you are not completing the merge. (I
doubt it, but it's all I can think of).

Then, did you change the font by selecting the mergefield field and applying
a different font? If so, you may also have included the end of cell marker
(although again, I do not know how)

In any case, I would remove any direct formatting, then change the
MERGEFIELD to

{ MERGEFIELD mybarcode \*Charformat }

(just type "Char" instead of "Merge" at the appropriate point)

Then select the M of MERGEFIELD and apply your barcode font at the point
size you need. Even though a completely different character will appear
instead of "M", the MERGEFIELD should still work.

Peter Jamieson