Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
oe

Default Blank fields

Can someone please point me in the direction of help understanding the Null
fields, e.g. "" " so that I can work out If..Else..statements, etc - this
does not appear to be covered in Help for Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If a field is empty or blank, it will be equal to "" in an If...then....Else
field construction.

Is there anything else that you need to know about it?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"oe" wrote in message
Can someone please point me in the direction of help understanding the
Null fields, e.g. "" " so that I can work out If..Else..statements, etc -
this does not appear to be covered in Help for Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
oe

I seem to have trouble merging when the first one or two mergefields are
blank, e.g.

Title Initial . Last_Name

If Title is blank, I want to enter Initial but without a blank space at the
beginning; if there is nothing in the Title or Initial fields, I want just
the last name - again without any blanks. It should look something like
Title: Mr (or blank space)
Initial: A (or blank space)
Last_Name (two blank spaces) Famille Dupont

Not sure if I've explained that very well!
Thanks for your help.

"oe" wrote in message
Can someone please point me in the direction of help understanding the
Null fields, e.g. "" " so that I can work out If..Else..statements, etc -
this does not appear to be covered in Help for Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Doug Robbins' answer covers it.

Try help under "If field." Click on examples.

{ If Test1 = "" "" "Test1 " }

This checks the value of the bookmark Test1. If it is empty, nothing is
inserted, otherwise if it is not empty, Test1 followed by a space is
inserted. You would insert your merge field in place of Test1 in both
places.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"oe" wrote in message
Can someone please point me in the direction of help understanding the
Null fields, e.g. "" " so that I can work out If..Else..statements,
etc - this does not appear to be covered in Help for Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
oe

I still seem to have something wrong here.

I have

Title Initial . Last_Name

One of my addressees is J Smith

Whatever I try, I get a blank space before the "J"

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"oe" wrote in message
Can someone please point me in the direction of help understanding the
Null fields, e.g. "" " so that I can work out If..Else..statements,
etc - this does not appear to be covered in Help for Word 2003

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

{IF {Mergefield Title} "" "{Mergefield Title} "}{Mergefield Initial}.
{Mergefield Last_Name}

ie

{IF {Mergefield Title}spacespace""space"{Mergefield
Title}space"}{Mergefield Initial}.space{Mergefield Last_Name}

Should do it.

"oe" wrote in message
I seem to have trouble merging when the first one or two
mergefields are blank, e.g.

Title Initial . Last_Name

If Title is blank, I want to enter Initial but without a blank
space at the beginning; if there is nothing in the Title or Initial
fields, I want just the last name - again without any blanks. It
should look something like
Title: Mr (or blank space)
Initial: A (or blank space)
Last_Name (two blank spaces) Famille Dupont

Not sure if I've explained that very well!
Thanks for your help.

If a field is empty or blank, it will be equal to "" in an
If...then....Else field construction.

Is there anything else that you need to know about it?

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"oe" wrote in message
Can someone please point me in the direction of help
understanding the Null fields, e.g. "" " so that I can work out
If..Else..statements, etc - this does not appear to be covered in
Help for Word 2003 TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
masterkeys

Just a simple thought but,

Have you tried turning on the paragraph format characters, that big
weird P button, while field names are displayed, to make sure there
isn't a rogue space between each merge field?

--
masterkeys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You would still get a space attributable to the space following the missing
Title field. You could manually remove this from the merged document, but by
using a condition field to place the title field *and* its following space,
the problem doesn't arise.

masterkeys wrote:
Just a simple thought but,

Have you tried turning on the paragraph format characters, that big
weird P button, while field names are displayed, to make sure there
isn't a rogue space between each merge field?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
masterkeys

Graham,

I know, this was just to make sure there wasn't a rogue space between
the conditional field too, after it was changed.

MK