Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PatrickM PatrickM is offline

Default Avery 4013 Labels on Dot Matrix Printer

I have a problem that concerns Avery labels #4013 & a dot matrix printer

In an older version of Word (98 I believe) it was a relatively simple
process to print labels on a dot matrix printer and choose the Avery label
#4013 to do so. I just got this new version of Word - 2007 on this brand new
pc and cannot figure out how exactly to go about doing the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas, instructions or information that might be able
to assist me in this? Appreciate any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You don't say exactly what is going wrong, but my guess is that it's one of
two things:
1. you can't work out how to print labels on Word 2007, perhaps because the
user interface is so radically different, or
2. you are doing all the right things but when you actually try to print
the labels, they do not print properly

If it's (1) then
a. are you trying to print an individual label or page of labels? or are
you trying to mailmerge?
b. either way, select the Mailings tab in the ribbon.
c. For individual labels/page of labels, click Labels, then in the
Envelopes and Labels dialog box, ensure Labels is selected, click Options,
check "Continuous-feed printers", select Avery US Letter in "Label vendors",
then select 4013, then OK. Type the label text, select the appropriate
options in the "Print sectin of the dialog box, and select either Print or
New Document. If you select New Document, adjust as required and print it.
d. For MailMerge,
- click Start Mail Merge, select Labels, then in the Label Options box,
check "Continuous-feed printers", select Avery US Letter in "Label vendors",
then select 4013, then OK. The
- click Select Recipients, and either select an existing data source or
create a new one.
- use Insert Merge Field to insert individual fields from the data source
into the /first/ label in the sheet.
- use "Update Labels" to copy the fields in the first label to the other
labels.
- click Finish and Merge, then either Edit Individual Documents to output
to a new document which you can then alter and print, or "Print Documents"
to merge and print.

If it's (2) then things are more difficult because
e. Earlier versions of Word were undoubtedly better than (say) Word
2002/2003 when printing on some dot-matrix printers.
f. I no longer have a dot-matrix printer here and cannot check what
actually happens with Word 2007 (or your particular type of stationery), so
cannot tell if the problems in Word 2002/2003 were fixed in Word 2007
g. what I do see is that Word creates a two-page layout with a single
paragraph mark on the second page. I am not sure that is what it should be
doing for dot-matrix printing, and some adjustment may be needed.

But let us know where the problem lies...

Peter Jamieson

#4013 to do so. I just got this new version of Word - 2007 on this brand
new