Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djrtowle

Default I NEVER want to track changes or comments in Word 03 - MAKE IT STO

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stressed windows user

This may help, if you go into the tools options menu on word, click on the
tab marked saved and it is located under the autosave function. that should
work, not sure about turning off the tracking changes. Hope that helps a bit.

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djrtowle

Default I NEVER want to track changes or comments in Word 03 - MAKE IT

Thanks - now if I could just stop that revision toolbar from reappearing all
the time! Everytime I open a document, it comes back. ARGH!

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

Try looking under ToolsTrack Changes. I've got Word 2000, so it might not
be there - if not, look in Help for Track Changes, and it should tell you
where to turn everything off.
Ed

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again

and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off

forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

No disrespect to those trying to help, but however well intended the
suggestions offered thus far will not do the trick

Re Track Changes:

Once it is turned on in any given document it *stays* on until all changes
have been either Accepted or Rejected. Then you can turn it Off & save the
file. Reopening the file after that will not cause the Reviewing Toolbar to
come up. Unfortunately, any other file you open which has had Track Changes
active will have to be dealt with in the same way, individually, until you've
gotten through them all.

Keep in mind that if the docs are revised by others who turn Track Changes
on, those docs *will* open with it active & the toolbar will come up... and
you may not have any say in turning it off in a workgroup situation.

Re SmartTags:

Go to ToolsAutoCorrect Options - AutoCorrect Tab and remove the check for
'Show AutoCorrect Options Buttons'. While in the same dialog, go to the
SmartTags Tab and remove the bottom check for 'Show SmartTag Actions Buttons'
or uncheck selected items in the list.

HTH |:)

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

Track Changes is only document-wide, though, right? Not application-wide?
(I'm thinking of Excel, in which I like calculations set to Manual, but if I
open any workbook which was created with calculations on Automatic, it will
reset the toggle in my application for all workbooks until I toggle it back
to Manual.) So opening one doc with Track Changes on only means I have to
deal with that particular doc, and new docs I create will NOT necessarily
have Track Changes on, right?

Ed

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The reviewing toolbar is the most presistent, but is you add the line
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
to each of an autonew an autoopen and an autoexec macro -
you will not see it again unless you specifically request it.

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking
of changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up
again and again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned
off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Correct - Tracking Changes is document specific, not a global setting. New
docs will not be set with Track Changes ON unless you a) manually turn it on,
or b) modify/create a template with T/C on, in which case any docs based on
that template will have T/C turned on automatically.

BTW- I forgot one other Smart Tag (I guess because I keep *that* one on) -
ToolsOptionsEdit has a checkbox for the Paste Options button if you want to
turn that one off too.

Regards |:)

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djrtowle

I ended up creating a macro that accepts all changes so the document won't
show the changes when it is sent to others for dissemination and printing.
Every time I open an attached document the toolbar is back. I really hate
that.

"djrtowle" wrote:

I just was upgraded to Office 03. How do I get rid of the tracking of
changes and comments? I delete them and save and they show up again and
again! Also - can those stupid "smart-tags" be turned off forever??????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LUMC

As said, To turn off Track Changes in a specific document you will have to
accept the changes. To make sure your new document does not start up with
Track Changes go to Tools\Options\track changes and put everything on never
and none.

for samrt tags: go to tools\options\view and empty the checkbox before smart
tags.