Daleinad

Default How can I have a MIXTURE of captions according to title heading?

I'd like to have a mixture of captions according to the title heading, for
example:
1. Title
1-1 Caption

1.1. Subtitle
1.1-1 Caption

Currently, only one style is accepted. For example, 1-1 for all headings.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Daleinad

Yes, you can do this.

In your document, insert a caption with the "Include chapter number" set
with Heading 1. Don't include any caption text. Select the whole paragraph
and do Insert AutoText AutoText. Give it a name like "H1Caption" and
click Add.

Do the same for a caption using Heading 2 as the "include chapter number".
Make it an AutoText called, say, "H2Caption".

Now, whenever you want an H1 caption, start typing the name of the autotext
("H1Caption"). You'll get a little box pop up allowing you to press Enter to
insert the H1 caption. And the same for the H2caption.

For other ways to invoke your AutoText, you can use Tools Customize to
give the AutoTexts a keyboard shortcut, or drag them to a toolbar to create
a button for them.

If you want to understand why this works, then first do Tools Options
View. In the Field Shading box, choose Always. This lets you see where field
codes have been placed in your document. The shading doesn't print, and you
can turn this off again later if you choose.

Do Insert Reference Caption and enter the text of your caption. Click
the Numbering button and now tick "Include chapter number" and tell Word the
chapter starts with style Heading 2. Click OK, then OK.

Now, do Alt-F9 to expose the field codes instead of the field results. You
should see something like this:

{ STYLEREF 2 \s } - { SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s 2 }

The first field says "Create here a reference to the Heading 2 style". The
\s switch says "I just want the paragraph numbering from the last Heading 2
style paragraph".

The second field says "Create here a sequential number in the 'Figure'
sequence" and the \s switch says "Re-start the numbering every time I hit a
Heading 2 paragraph".

In both cases, just having the figure 2 refers to the Heading 2 style.

By using two AutoTexts, all you have done is made it easy to insert captions
whose STYLEREF and SEQ fields refer to the appropriate heading styles.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word