Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
areensee areensee is offline

Default APA references

When I create a bibliography in APA using Word 2007, it gives me a list of my
sources, but does not indent the 2d and subsequent line(s) of the source. All
lines of the source start at the same point. APA style requires that
references be entered with the first line not indented, and subsequent lines
indented. When I tried to fix this manually, Word won't let me. When I try to
indent the 2nd line of the reference, both the 1st and 2nd lines indent. HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
areensee areensee is offline

The bibliography is already set to APA. What else do I need to do? I'm not
that familiar with Word 2007 yet.

"areensee" wrote in message
When I create a bibliography in APA using Word 2007, it gives me a list of
my
sources, but does not indent the 2d and subsequent line(s) of the source.
All
lines of the source start at the same point. APA style requires that
references be entered with the first line not indented, and subsequent
lines
indented. When I tried to fix this manually, Word won't let me. When I try
indent the 2nd line of the reference, both the 1st and 2nd lines indent.
HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
p0 p0 is offline

On 24 jul, 10:45, areensee wrote:
When I create abibliographyin APA using Word 2007, it gives me a list of my
sources, but does not indent the 2d and subsequent line(s) of the source. All
lines of the source start at the same point. APA style requires that
references be entered with the first line not indented, and subsequent lines
indented. When I tried to fix this manually, Word won't let me. When I try to
indent the 2nd line of the reference, both the 1st and 2nd lines indent. HELP?

The first time you add a bibliography to your document, a
'Bibliography' style is added to the list with styles (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT
+s). The name of the style is culture dependant and could be something
different. Anyway, you can modify that style so that the bibliography
gets formatted the way you want.

HTH,

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imamuse imamuse is offline

The answers that were given were not very clear on the steps needed to create
a hanging indent for an APA formatted paper: So here is the information that
you can use to successfully format a hanging indent.

If using 2007 Word there is a "References" menu bar / under the "Manage
Sources" there is a drop down box for style - APA should be listed and use
that for starters. use the reference section for entering your citations and
reference list.

If you are having trouble with the hanging indent you can manually apply
that format by first highlighting the entire SINGLE reference then going back
to the home tab and opening the "paragraph dialog box" that is achieved by
clicking on the tiny arrow on the bottom right hand corner of the Paragraph
menu window - when the dialog box opens go to the 2nd section that is titled
"Indentation" then under the "Special" drop down box choose "Hanging" the
default should already be set for 0.5" - you should then see your first line
over to the left and the following lines of that reference indented to the
right by 1/2 inch.

Hope this clears up the confusion!

imamuse

references Jon Microsoft Word Help 1 August 8th 07 11:30 PM
references bonecrusher Microsoft Word Help 1 October 3rd 05 11:20 PM
cross references Frank Drost Formatting Long Documents 2 March 30th 05 01:30 PM
Figure References Brian Delahunty Formatting Long Documents 1 March 1st 05 10:49 AM
Help references Tab that isn't there Problem with Help Microsoft Word Help 1 February 9th 05 01:58 AM