KJ

Default Merging Problem Office 2000

Using form files created in Word 2000 accessing database created in Excel
2000 and DDE link.

Have been using these files for over two years. A week ago, something
changed that I am not aware of. The form files access the Excel Database
fine and merge the info to a new document correctly. However, the new
document appears locked in some way. I cannot place cursor in the "newly
merged new document" without first clicking the style on toolbar and choosing
"normal". As an aside, my toolbar also went wacky adding new selections to
my toolbar.

I have tried several things to try to rectify. Changing style attributes,
etc.

Can someone help me? I am sure it is something stupidly simple, however, I
have yet to discover.

I also have these same files on CD. When accessing and using the files
on/from the CD they work fine. If I try to access a form file from the CD
but use the Excel database on my hard drive the problem crops up again.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you,

KJ
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S0o=?=,

Have been using these files for over two years. A week ago, something
changed that I am not aware of. The form files access the Excel Database
fine and merge the info to a new document correctly. However, the new
document appears locked in some way. I cannot place cursor in the "newly
merged new document" without first clicking the style on toolbar and choosing
"normal". As an aside, my toolbar also went wacky adding new selections to
my toolbar.

This indicates some kind of Addin (or virus) is interfering with how you work in
Word. Install any new tools "a week ago"? Receive and open a document (without
virus checking, first)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

KJ

The subjects you mentioned were my first thoughts. However, virus checking
is constant and updated daily.

No to add-ins as well. I am extremely careful about add-ins. A year or so
ago I loaded an Adobe program that auto installed several macros and then
experienced this same problem. Since that time, I have not even considered
add-ins.

I am tearing my hair out trying to track this thing down.

My next thought was macros, styles or templates. But no such luck.
Whatever, it is that has happened also changed my toolbars.

Even went to another computer that had same files and copied the normal.dot
file back to my computer. The other computer performs like it should with
same files. But, overwriting my normal.dot with that computers' copy of same
did not solve the problem.

Thank you for trying to "make" the same problem happen at your end. I may
just have to live with this.

My only other option is to delet all the files and copy from CD or the other
computer mentioned.

Not sure that will work as the one file I coied from CD to my hard drive
adapted and began experiencing the same problem.

Thanks again,
KJ

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S0o=?=,

Have been using these files for over two years. A week ago, something
changed that I am not aware of. The form files access the Excel Database
fine and merge the info to a new document correctly. However, the new
document appears locked in some way. I cannot place cursor in the "newly
merged new document" without first clicking the style on toolbar and choosing
"normal". As an aside, my toolbar also went wacky adding new selections to
my toolbar.

This indicates some kind of Addin (or virus) is interfering with how you work in
Word. Install any new tools "a week ago"? Receive and open a document (without
virus checking, first)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S0o=?=,

Even went to another computer that had same files and copied the normal.dot
file back to my computer. The other computer performs like it should with
same files. But, overwriting my normal.dot with that computers' copy of same
did not solve the problem.

1. Use the Start/Run button in Windows. Type in: winword.exe /a
Now let it run. This should start Word in Safe Mode.

Do you still see the same problems, or does Word behave like it did when it was
first installed?

2. If Word does behave itself in Safe Mode, you either have an Addin problem, or
possibly a damaged Registry Data key. There are instructions on the
word.mvps.org site on how to reset the Data key.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

KJ

Thank you Cindy. You have been a huge help.

After copying the normal.dot file from the "other" computer and
pasting/overwritting the normal.dot file on my computer, no immediate change
happened.

Then I ran disk clean (I run it several times a day due to voice recognition
software), turned computer off over night and the next day my files worked
just fine.

Of course I had to retype all of my macros, as stupidly I had not saved
those to CD. Luckily, I had managed to have printed a copy of the macros and
could use that to re-enter.

I appreciate all your interest and helpful hints. I will keep them in mind
should things turn ugly again.

Have a great Friday,
KJ

Hi ?B?S0o=?=,