Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Default Numbered Lists - "Continue" issue

I have a training manual that describes several different events for a topic
and then gives the users instructions on how to complete each event. Under
each event I have a numbered listed that identifies the steps a user will
need to take, with each event "Restart"ing from "1". (Example below)

Topic

Event 1

1. Step 1.
2. Step 2.
3. Step 3.

Event 2

1. Step 1.
2. Step 2.
3. Step 3.

I am now using the InsertFile to bring in bookmarked sections of these
topics into one manual. The InsertFile option worked well except it
renumbered all of my steps. (See problem example below)

Topic

Event 1

1. Step 1.
2. Step 2.
3. Step 3.

Event 2

4. Step 1.
5. Step 2.
6. Step 3.

Is there anyway to "lock" the numbering for each Event so that it will have
no affect on numbering of Events that follow it?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To "freeze" auto numbering when copying and pasting text you can convert the
numbers to plain text in the source document: Select the numbered items.
Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate
the Immediate window. Type

Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText

and press Enter.

Then copy and paste the items. Close the source document without saving.

Note that if numbering was applied via styles, you will have to clear the
numbering from the styles in the target document (otherwise you can bring it
back via Ctrl+Q).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that the OP states that these are examples, not actual text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Jul 31, 2:52 pm, Ember wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

I have been asked to format published manuals (procedural documentation that
I did not write) so that they include only the processes that we use (the
published manual describes more than what we will be doing).

I am not responsible for the content, just how it is formatted.

Thanks!

On Jul 31, 2:52 pm, Ember wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

So I would need to do that for each numbered list in my document? I ask
because I found another post that made a similar suggestion but it applied it
to the whole document.

Also, do you know if this suggestion would work when using the "InsertFile"
option?

Thanks!

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But note the "(Example below)" text later in the OP's message. Obviously,
there are many possible reasons why the OP may not want to post the actual
text in a public newsgroup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Jul 31, 2:52 pm, Ember wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you want to convert numbers of an entire document in one step, just use

Activedocument.ConvertNumbersToText

instead.

It can certainly be applied to documents that you want to insert via Insert
| File, but note that if numbering was applied via styles, you will have to
clear the number formatting from those styles (or Ctrl+Q can bring numbering
back).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Thanks. I may have to find another way as I will not be the only one editing
these secondary documents (that have the numbering) and those that will have
varying levels of knowledge using Word.

Ember

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you want to convert numbers of an entire document in one step, just use

Activedocument.ConvertNumbersToText

instead.

It can certainly be applied to documents that you want to insert via Insert
| File, but note that if numbering was applied via styles, you will have to
clear the number formatting from those styles (or Ctrl+Q can bring numbering
back).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I suppose one way, which you may already have considered, is to have a
single person who is "in charge" of the formatting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you want to convert numbers of an entire document in one step, just
use

Activedocument.ConvertNumbersToText

instead.

It can certainly be applied to documents that you want to insert via
Insert
| File, but note that if numbering was applied via styles, you will have
clear the number formatting from those styles (or Ctrl+Q can bring
numbering
back).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Only the OP can tell. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Jul 31, 2:52 pm, Ember wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Unfortunately that would be me, which I would rather not.

Thanks!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you want to convert numbers of an entire document in one step, just
use

Activedocument.ConvertNumbersToText

instead.

It can certainly be applied to documents that you want to insert via
Insert
| File, but note that if numbering was applied via styles, you will have
clear the number formatting from those styles (or Ctrl+Q can bring
numbering
back).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news So I would need to do that for each numbered list in my document? I

"Ember" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But the topic of my and grammatim's somewhat silly "sub-discussion" was
whether your example reflects actual text in the document, in which case the
steps include the number twice (as in "1 Step 1" ).

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP