Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RizzKid RizzKid is offline

Default Mail-merge dynamic database source

I have created a mail-merge that gets its input from Excel via OLEDB. Each
month it needs to get the input from a spreadsheet in a folder specific to
that month. Moreover, although I create and test the merge on my pc, I
distribute it to others who have a different naming convention for their
folders. Once I save my merge document, the source folder is saved with it.
[Although I have examined the merge document carefully, and can't find any
clear text reference to the database. Does anyone know how that info is
stored?]

I know that if the database doesn't exist when the merge doc is opened,
there are prompts to find the new source. I know that even if the database
exists (but may be an old source), I can choose "Select Recipients" and
select a new source.

I have seen an earlier posting which mentions property
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.Name, and I will experiment writing a
macro to see if that can be changed dynamically. In the meantime:

- Is there any way to reliably force the merge to prompt for the database
source each time the merge doc is opened?

- Is there any way to make the stored source path relative, e.g.,
\..\DatabaseInput?