KathfromWI

Default Convert soft breaks (shift/return) into hard breaks (return).

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into Word and want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am then going to
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by what I
call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into Excel this way so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks (enter key
only) without having to go line by line?

Tony Jollans

You can do this easily with Find and Replace:

Find ^l (caret, lower case letter L)
Replace with ^p (caret, lower case letter P)

Hit Replace All and you should be done.

Enjoy,
Tony

"KathfromWI" wrote:

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into Word and want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am then going to
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by what I
call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into Excel this way so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks (enter key
only) without having to go line by line?

Anne Troy

Sure. Come along one minute after me, and make me look bad. I see how you
are!!

Great to see you here, Tony!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"KathfromWI" wrote:

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into Word and
want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am then going
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by what I
call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into Excel this way
so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks (enter key
only) without having to go line by line?

Tony Jollans

LOL - I didn't know you hung out here, Anne - as well as everywhere else

I drop in occasionally but find it painfully slow so don't usually stay
long. Maybe better when I get broadband.

"KathfromWI" wrote:

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into Word and
want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am then going
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by what I
call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into Excel this way
so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks (enter key
only) without having to go line by line?

Tony Jollans

Glad it helped, Kath.

You don't need to know all the cryptic codes. In the Find/Replace dialog
there is a button labelled "More". If you click it, there are some extra
options and those codes can be selected from a list in English (or whatever
your language is) by pressing "Special"

Enjoy,
Tony

"KathfromWI" wrote:

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into Word and want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am then going to
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by what I
call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into Excel this way so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks (enter key
only) without having to go line by line?

If you want to apply that change to multiple Word documents, try
WordPipe (www.datamystic.com). It also allows those same codes to be
used, but automatically across thousands of documents.

Find ^l (caret, lower case letter L)
Replace with ^p (caret, lower case letter P)

Anne Troy

Pretty expensive for an overblown macro.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you want to apply that change to multiple Word documents, try
WordPipe (www.datamystic.com). It also allows those same codes to be
used, but automatically across thousands of documents.

Find ^l (caret, lower case letter L)
Replace with ^p (caret, lower case letter P)

Graham Mayor

If you find the web portals slow, access via Usenet -
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm
Download the messages and you can work at your own pace off line.

"KathfromWI" wrote:

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into
Word and want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am
then going to
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by
what I call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into
Excel this way so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks
(enter key only) without having to go line by line?

Tony Jollans

Thanks again, Graham.

After downloading thousands of messages I can now look at them a hundred
times more quickly.

This is just a test to see if I can reply.

Enjoy,

Tony

"KathfromWI" wrote:

I have Word 2002. I am copying a mailing list from the web into
Word and want
to convert it from table to text, which I know how to do. I am
then going to
copy into Excel.

Problem is, there are 5 lines per entry. Each line is separated by
what I call a soft break (shift/enter). I can't copy these into
Excel this way so
the information shows up in 5 separate columns.

Is there any way to convert these soft breaks into hard breaks
(enter key only) without having to go line by line?

Anne Troy

Graham: GREAT job suckering Tony right in like that. Kudos!! He's a great
guy to have around. IMHO, he should'a been one of you guys a LOOOOOOONG time
ago.
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com