Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Louis-M. Boudreault Louis-M. Boudreault is offline

Default Macro for mailmerge with datasource beginning by http:/

I have a macro for MailMerge(done by a consultant in VB) in Word (Word 2003
SP2) with an Excel datasouce (Excel 2003 SP2). I have to test this macro on
SharePoint (SharePoint Services 3.0) but if I change the
adress of the Excel file from \\serveur\... to the adress beginning by
http:// it is not working. I suppose that some change are needed in the code.
Do you have an example of changes needed?
--
Louis-M. Boudreault
Documentation and Training
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unfortunately
a. you simply cannot connect to an Excel datasource at an Internet URL
(e.g. http://, ftp:// etc.) In fact you cannot use any file located at a
URL - the file has to be accessed via the Windows file system, e.g. using a
UNC name such as the \\serveur\ address you have or a traditional
driveletter:\pathname name such as s:\mydir\myfile.xls
b. I don't know enough about SharePoint configuration to be able to tell
you whether it is still feasible ot use a UNC type name. I would guess that
the answer is "yes" if the user is connecting to a Sharepoint server on a
Windows LAN, but probably "no" if the user is connecting to SharePoint via
the Internet (unless they are using a virtual proivate network connection)

Peter Jamieson

"Louis-M. Boudreault" wrote in
message ...