torajudo

Default Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document

We have a client that has created a word 2000 template for his office. This
template will make reference to sections of text that look something like
this:

"As you can see in Exhibit (XXX) the plaintiff will need to justify his
expenditure.

..
..
..
further down in the document:

"Please refer to Exhibit (YYY) for details about this case"

These cross reference links - ie the words Exhibit (XXX), Exhibit (YYY) will
"jump" to the actual exhibits (which appear as separate documents included in
the appendix of the larger document).

My question:

1. What is the best way to create these jumps - as cross-references /
hyperlinks / or bookmarks in the document?

2. The client wants these cross reference links to be "dynamic" in nature.
What I mean by this is that if they have the following in the document:

Exhibit (1)
Exhibit (2)
Exhibit (3)
Exhibit (4)

If they want to "insert a new Exhibit (2)" between the old Exhibit (1) and
Exhibit (2), all the other Exhibits and their respective numbers would be
automatically re-numbered so the pattern would look like this:

Exhibit (1)
Exhibit (2) ---- the new Exhibit (2)
Exhibit (3)
Exhibit (4)
Exhibit (5)

What is the best way to do item #2. I am thinking some sequential field in
word

Here is more clarification:The dynamic numbering in the document is to
appear within any giving paragraph. So for example:
______________
text text text text text (Exhibit1)text text text text text
text text text text texttext text text text texttext text text text
text(Exhibit 2)text text text text text text text text text text....

text text text text texttext text text text texttext text text text texttext
text text text text(Exhibit 3)
_________________
Now, the client would like to be able to insert additional text with a "new"
Exhibit 2, for example, between the exisitng first two "Exhibits". If the
client enters more text, then the current Exhibit 2 will become Exhibit 3
(and the current Exhibit 3 will automatically change to Exhibit 4) because of
the added text and new Exhibit 2.

My thought is to modify Caption Style so it is not bolded, centred text.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document

To create dynamic cross-reference links in a Word document, you can use bookmarks and fields. Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Select the text that you want to use as a cross-reference link, such as "Exhibit (XXX)" or "Exhibit (YYY)".
  2. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon and select Bookmark from the Links group.
  3. In the Bookmark dialog box, give the bookmark a name that corresponds to the exhibit it refers to, such as "Exhibit1" or "Exhibit2". Click "Add" to create the bookmark.
  4. Place your cursor where you want to insert the cross-reference link, such as "Please refer to Exhibit (YYY) for details about this case".
  5. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon and select Cross-reference from the Links group.
  6. In the Cross-reference dialog box, select "Bookmark" as the "Reference type".
  7. Select the bookmark you created earlier from the "Insert reference to" list.
  8. Choose the format you want for the cross-reference link, such as "Exhibit %1" or "See Exhibit %1".
  9. Check the "Insert as hyperlink" box if you want the cross-reference link to be clickable.
  10. Click "Insert" to create the cross-reference link.

To make the cross-reference links dynamic, you can use fields to automatically update the exhibit numbers when you add or remove exhibits. Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the dynamic exhibit number, such as "(Exhibit 1)".
  2. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon and select Quick Parts from the Text group.
  3. Select Field from the Quick Parts menu.
  4. In the Field dialog box, select "Seq" as the "Field names" and enter a name for the sequence, such as "Exhibit".
  5. Click "Options" to customize the sequence format, such as "Exhibit %1" or "Exhibit-%1".
  6. Click "OK" to save the options.
  7. Click "OK" again to create the field.
  8. Repeat these steps for each dynamic exhibit number you want to create.

When you add or remove exhibits, you can update the dynamic exhibit numbers by right-clicking on the field and selecting "Update field" from the context menu. The exhibit numbers will automatically adjust to reflect the new order.
__________________
Stefan Blom

I'll answer your questions in the opposite order, since the creation
of captions logically precedes inserting references to them:

2. For Word to be able to automatically create cross-references, you
have to create a caption label named "Exhibit" and use it to insert
your exhibit numbering:

a) On the Insert menu, click Caption.

b) In the dialog box, click the New Label button.

c) Click OK to insert.

d) Add the parentheses manually around the caption number.

e) Select the caption and create an AutoText entry for it for easy
insertion.

When creating the following exhibit captions, just insert the
AutoText.

AutoText entries can be copied between templates, but all
caption labels are (unfortunately) stored in normal.dot (the blank
template), which means that the Exhibit label must be created for each
individual computer where it should be used.

1. Create hyperlinked cross-references to the Exhibits, via
InsertCross-Reference.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"torajudo" wrote in message
We have a client that has created a word 2000 template for his

office. This
template will make reference to sections of text that look something

like
this:

"As you can see in Exhibit (XXX) the plaintiff will need to justify

his
expenditure.

.
.
.

/
[...]

Melissa

1. My recommendation is to use cross reference (Insert Reference
Cross-Reference) and ensure the "Insert as hyperlink" check-box is ticked.
2. If your exhibits are documents or sections inserted at the end of the
main text as appendices, then use existing header or create a new heading
style, e.g. Appendix Header and apply numbering to it. For each exhibit, add
a new Appendix heading before the text begins. So when you do No. 1 above,
reference to this heading.

If you move the exhibits around or add in/ delete exhibits, the numbering
will remain consistent and accurate.
3. For "auto-numbering" within text, place cursor after the word "Exhibit"
and go to Insert Field. Choose AutoNum from FieldNames and click OK. Each
subsequent time you do this will increment the numbering by 1.

"torajudo" wrote:

[...]

macropod

torajudo,

This same question was asked (by John Falloon (aka sumgait and adelie)) and
replied to days ago at both Tek-Tips
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1140041&page=2
and Woody's
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=527864
by various people, including me (in both forums).

The courtesy of acknowledging/responding to those who gave help in those
forums wouldn't go astray - neither would sharing any difficulties you had
with the responses given there!

torajudo

Thanks for your reply. I very much appreciate the responses and was hoping
to get another take on the issue as I could not recreate exactly what the
client wanted. I do intend to look over all responses and try to solve this
once and for all. I meant no disrespect and fully intend to respond to
everyone that has kindly offered their expertise. I appologize for any
appearance of improper etiquette.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 01:04 AM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM