Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce

Default autoshape text wrapping

I am trying to wrap text around one text box that will straddle 2 text boxes
behind it. I am using Word 97. The built in Word help states:
"You can choose how you want text to wrap around a graphic or text box. For
example, you can place a graphic between columns of text and still retain the
column format.
To wrap text around a graphic or text box, select the graphic or the text
box, click AutoShape on the Format menu, click the Wrapping tab, and then
select the wrapping options you want. "

The problem: there is no Autoshape on the Format menu. There is a "Set
Autoshape Default" when I right click on the text box border. When I do this,
I get no dialogue box. In fact, nothing happens. I had set the Format Text
Box, text wrapping tab to Square and both sides, but this has no effect.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

Text Boxes are *not* AutoShapes, so the last command in the Format Menu will
read as Text Box if you select a Text Box. If you draw a rectangle, elipse,
etc., that same command position will read as AutoShape. IOW, the command is
context sensitive.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce

Ok, context sensitive help makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the
builtin help in Word that tells me to use the Format Autoshape command.

So, I'm back to my original problem.

Do you have any idea on how I can accomplish my goal of getting the text to
wrap around the text box that is straddling the two text boxes that are
behind it?

thanks.

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

My understanding is that you want the wrapping of the foreground object to
affect the text flow in the underlying objects, correct?

If so the simple answer is "You can't" in Word... at least not with any
degree of facility.

Graphic objects (such as shapes & text boxes as well as images) are
contained on one 'layer' of a doc, typed text is contained on a separate
'layer'. Text Wrapping determines how content on the graphics layer
interacts with content on the text layer, but has no effect on how the
objects on the graphic layer interact with each other.

The kind of *layout* you are trying to achieve can be done in a page
layout/desktop publishing program such as InDesign or even MS Publisher, but
not in (most) word processors. Others who do this sort of thing routinely
[read as: for a living] may be able to offer some intricate options, but
unless you are already on the brink of *not* having to ask your question in
the first place those techniques will probably be more complex ,
time-consuming & frustrating than they sound
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Bob. I work in page layout programs and am familiar with what you
speak. Unfortunately in this case, I need to provide this document for
another party who is only willing to accept it in Word in a template they
built. Perhaps I can change the two underlying text boxes to be 2 text
columns (so they move to the text layer) and figure out a way to make the
right column shorter then the left. Then maybe I can get the foreground text
box that will straddle the 2 columns to wrap text as the builtin Word help
describes. More trial an error. I feel Word here is being asked to do
something it wasn't designed for. But, I cannot dictate the way it's being
applied in this case since the template I must use in not in my control.

I do appreciate the teaching you have provided about the graphics and text
layers in Word. This is new information to me that will aid me in the future
I am sure.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

Can you get away with doing the layout in a dtp app, then doing a
copy/PasteSpecial/as Picture?
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce

No, that won't fly, but I like the way your mind works! I may have another
approach I can take but thanks for continuing to poner my situation.

Peace