Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SASMAN

Default When I have come to use docs saved on disc, I only see squares?

I have saved all my documents (word2003) to disc prior to purchasing a new
laptop. To date I have installed word2003, and sp2 update.
The problem occurs on about 70% of saved documents when I try to open them.
The result of this action is umpteen pages of small squares, which looks
similar to unicode format.
Any ideas what is the matter? I wasnt given the option to open with any
other format, and besides the files were definately saved as .doc files. They
do however contain an excel table (unlinked), although I am dubious that this
is the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Si Clarke
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B

Could be that the font used in the original file is not on your laptop and
Windows cannot find a substitute font to use.

Additionally, if you're opening the files directly from the CD or diskette,
try copying the files to the hard drive and open the files from there and see
if that corrects the problem.
--
Kevin Backmann

"SASMAN" wrote:

I have saved all my documents (word2003) to disc prior to purchasing a new
laptop. To date I have installed word2003, and sp2 update.
The problem occurs on about 70% of saved documents when I try to open them.
The result of this action is umpteen pages of small squares, which looks
similar to unicode format.
Any ideas what is the matter? I wasnt given the option to open with any
other format, and besides the files were definately saved as .doc files. They
do however contain an excel table (unlinked), although I am dubious that this
is the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Si Clarke

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

What sort of disc? Did you save to floppy? In which case they are probably
corrupt. Never ever read from, write to, or print from floppy with Word.
These are the most certain methods of ensuring document corruption.

Copy to the hard disc and work on the document from there.

This is equally relevant to other removable media such as CDRW.

SASMAN wrote:
I have saved all my documents (word2003) to disc prior to purchasing
a new laptop. To date I have installed word2003, and sp2 update.
The problem occurs on about 70% of saved documents when I try to open
them. The result of this action is umpteen pages of small squares,
which looks similar to unicode format.
Any ideas what is the matter? I wasnt given the option to open with
any other format, and besides the files were definately saved as .doc
files. They do however contain an excel table (unlinked), although I
am dubious that this is the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Si Clarke

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rcarring

In Word 2003, go to Options and check "confirm document format before
conversion".

Then try opening one of the documents.

If Word's filter selects ascii text or text then the document is mostly
likely corrupt.