Pistaccio

Default how to copy a document with a TOC in document that has one already

Hi,
I am working on a document which has a table of content. I would like to
insert, in the appendices of this document, another word document which has
its own table of content. I tried by copying and pasting this second one in
the first one but then, the headings change, the numbering gets a little
wrong, because, I think, it gets confused with the numbering of the first
one. Is there a way that I can paste the second one in the first one in a way
that it will be the exact copy of what it is when that document is open on
its own (the page numbers can chage to fit the master document but that's
all). It doesn't matter if I can't make any changes in it later on. I tried
to do a paste special to paste it as a picture but it didn't work. I would
very much appreciate help on this one. Thanks
garfield-n-odie

1. Open the document containing the appendix.
2. Open the "other document". Select the TOC in the "other
document", and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink it. Press Ctrl+C to
copy the selected text. Close the "other document", and DO NOT
SAVE changes to it.
3. In the document containing the appendix, press Ctrl+V to
paste the unlinked TOC from the "other document". Remember that
the unlinked TOC will not update automatically (neither the TOC
headings nor the page numbers) if you make changes to the "other
document".

Pistaccio wrote:

Hi,
I am working on a document which has a table of content. I would like to
insert, in the appendices of this document, another word document which has
its own table of content. I tried by copying and pasting this second one in
the first one but then, the headings change, the numbering gets a little
wrong, because, I think, it gets confused with the numbering of the first
one. Is there a way that I can paste the second one in the first one in a way
that it will be the exact copy of what it is when that document is open on
its own (the page numbers can chage to fit the master document but that's
all). It doesn't matter if I can't make any changes in it later on. I tried
to do a paste special to paste it as a picture but it didn't work. I would
very much appreciate help on this one. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobkush

In the first message, Pistaccio wrote:

"I would like to insert, in the appendices of this document, another word
document which has its own table of contents."

In response, garfield-n-odie wrote:
"In the document containing the appendix, press Ctrl+V to paste the unlinked
TOC from the "other document"."

The response is good for cutting and pasting JUST the Table of Contents, but
Pistaccio asked how to insert the ENTIRE document into the appendix...without
screwing up the TOC or Headings numbers.

May we have instructions on how to INSERT the ENTIRE other Word document
into the APPENDIX of the original Word document without screwing up the TOC
or Headings?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Look for the Help topic " Prevent changes to information inserted by a
field"

The TOC is a field. Basically: Select the TOC and vit Ctrl + Shift + F9.
That turns the TOC into ordinary text. You can then paste the text of the
document, with the TOC into your Appendix and the TOC will stay the way it
was.

Don't SAVE the original document after using Ctrl + Shift + F9, otherwise
the TOC will never update again :-)

Cheers

On 10/2/06 4:37 AM, in article
, "bobkush"
wrote:

In the first message, Pistaccio wrote:

"I would like to insert, in the appendices of this document, another word
document which has its own table of contents."

In response, garfield-n-odie wrote:
"In the document containing the appendix, press Ctrl+V to paste the unlinked
TOC from the "other document"."

The response is good for cutting and pasting JUST the Table of Contents, but
Pistaccio asked how to insert the ENTIRE document into the appendix...without
screwing up the TOC or Headings numbers.

May we have instructions on how to INSERT the ENTIRE other Word document
into the APPENDIX of the original Word document without screwing up the TOC
or Headings?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410