Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Willy Willy is offline

Default Restore original formatting settings

Somehow my format settings got distorted and I need to get back to the
original. I am using Office XP-Word 2000. Have tried restore & reinstalling
Office XP. No good.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Without Word running, locate and rename the Normal.dot template and then
restart Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Willy" wrote in message
Somehow my format settings got distorted and I need to get back to the
original. I am using Office XP-Word 2000. Have tried restore &
reinstalling
Office XP. No good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Willy Willy is offline

Doug,
I am a little rusty! Where do I find this template? I looked in Explore at
the Word templates and could not identify it.
Thanks! Willy

"Willy" wrote in message
Somehow my format settings got distorted and I need to get back to the
original. I am using Office XP-Word 2000. Have tried restore &
reinstalling
Office XP. No good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It's in a hidden folder, which is why you can't see it now.

One way is to use the Tools Folder Options View dialog in Windows
Explorer and click the option to show hidden folders and files. Then search
C:\Documents and Settings for Normal.dot. It should be in C:\Documents and
Settings\your name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

The quicker way is to enter this in the address bar of Windows Explorer:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

and hit Enter. That will open the folder where Normal.dot lives, even if you
haven't enabled hidden folders.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Willy" wrote in message
Somehow my format settings got distorted and I need to get back to
the original. I am using Office XP-Word 2000. Have tried restore &
reinstalling
Office XP. No good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Willy Willy is offline

Jay, Found itwith your help and renamed it. When reopening Word, I got the
same template layout. In the upper left corner where the font type and size
would be is "Final Showing Markup"

"Willy" wrote in message
Somehow my format settings got distorted and I need to get back to
the original. I am using Office XP-Word 2000. Have tried restore &
reinstalling
Office XP. No good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Although now superfluous, note that "%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates" will not
work if the user templates folder location has been redefined .

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Without Word running, locate and rename the Normal.dot template and
then restart Word.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Willy" wrote in message
Somehow my format settings got distorted and I need to get back to
the original. I am using Office XP-Word 2000. Have tried restore &
reinstalling
Office XP. No good.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

My assumption is that if the user has redefined the User Templates
setting, then (a) they're likely to know where they said to put it and
(b) it probably isn't in a hidden folder so a file search will find
it.