gfross

Default How Do I Type in Times New Roman a Unicode Hexadecimal Letter?

I'm trying to type a transliteration of Sanskrit devanagari in Word 2003,
using Times New Roman. I know the Unicode hexadecimals for those letters
that have diacritcal marks. However, most of the hexadecimals contain a
Roman letter, e.g., 1E47 for the underdotted n, preventing me from using the
ALT-X shortcut method of typing the transliterated letter (since there is no
E on the numbers keypad).

So my question is as follows: Is there a way I can still use the shorcut
method, or do I have to use, instead, either the copy-and-paste-the-symbol
method or the Autocorrect method?
Stan Brown

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:38:03 -0700, gfross
wrote:

e.g., 1E47 for the underdotted n, preventing me from using the
ALT-X shortcut method of typing the transliterated letter (since there is no
E on the numbers keypad).

Have you tried this? The Alt-X works for me and is not dependent on
the numeric keypad (inline Alt-nnnn).

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

gfross

I see what the problem is. It occurs only when I type the unicode number
after an a, b, c, d, or e -- one of the five letters used in Unicode
hexadecimal. For example, hasta1E25. The ALT-X command groups "a1E25"
together as a unit, which then produces an empty square. The only way I have
been able to get the program to recognize 1E25 as the correct unit in this
context is to highlight 1E25 and then press ALT-X. This method is very
clumsy, however.

What I've done to solve this problem, however, is to use Autocorrect for the
transliterated Sanskrit letters, e.g., *hu* for an underdotted h, *sa* for an
s with acute accent over it, *am* for an a with a macron over it, etc.

Thanks for all of your replies!

"gfross" wrote in message
I'm trying to type a transliteration of Sanskrit devanagari in Word 2003,
using Times New Roman. I know the Unicode hexadecimals for those letters
that have diacritcal marks. However, most of the hexadecimals contain a
Roman letter, e.g., 1E47 for the underdotted n, preventing me from using

the
ALT-X shortcut method of typing the transliterated letter (since there is

no
E on the numbers keypad).

So my question is as follows: Is there a way I can still use the shorcut
method, or do I have to use, instead, either the copy-and-paste-the-symbol
method or the Autocorrect method?

Sounds like a good workaround.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You don't need to use the numeric keypad; just enter the number from the
keyboard and press Alt+X. The numeric keypad is required only for the
Alt+0nnn entry of ASCII codes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"gfross" wrote in message
I'm trying to type a transliteration of Sanskrit devanagari in Word

2003,
using Times New Roman. I know the Unicode hexadecimals for those

letters
that have diacritcal marks. However, most of the hexadecimals contain

Roman letter, e.g., 1E47 for the underdotted n, preventing me from

using
the
ALT-X shortcut method of typing the transliterated letter (since there

is
no
E on the numbers keypad).

So my question is as follows: Is there a way I can still use the

shorcut
method, or do I have to use, instead, either the

copy-and-paste-the-symbol
method or the Autocorrect method?

Klaus Linke

Allegedly, you can also use Alt+Num+ (Alt and the "+" on the numeric =
keypad), then type the hex number (likely using the regular keyboard?).
See for example =
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/r.../glossary.mspx under =
Alt+Numpad.

I have never gotten that to work though (in WinXP)...=20
Maybe it'll work as advertised in the next consumer version of Windows?

On the Mac, you can use an IME for hexadecimal input (Alt+####), and =
it's really better than Alt+X because of the problems mentioned (=3D =
character follows a number or some letter a-f).

Regards,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" schrieb im Newsbeitrag =
Sounds like a good workaround.
=20
--=20
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the =

newsgroup so
all may benefit.
=20

"gfross" wrote in message
[...]

Stan Brown

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:01:03 -0700, gfross
wrote:

when I type the unicode number
after an a, b, c, d, or e -- one of the five letters used in Unicode
hexadecimal. For example, hasta1E25. The ALT-X command groups "a1E25"
together as a unit, which then produces an empty square. The only way I have
been able to get the program to recognize 1E25 as the correct unit in this
context is to highlight 1E25 and then press ALT-X. This method is very
clumsy, however.

If you have only a few possibilities, or you know up front all the
characters you'll need, your Autocorrect technique is good.

If you have unanticipated Unicode characters, you can always press
the space bar before pressing the four digits and then Alt-X. Then
left arrow (not backspace) once, backspace once to get rid of the
space, right arrow once, and continue typing. At least this method
is all on the keyboard.