Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] mshall2@gmail.com is offline

Default Saving a copy of a document

Does anyone know if it is possible to save a copy of a document
without resetting the file location? So, say I am working on a
document saved on the C drive, but want to make a backup copy on to my
M drive...I can save the file to M, but then I am working with the
file on the M drive, not where I originally was in the C drive.
Alternatively, is it possible to save documents in multiple locations
- the C and M drive when you hit save?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

For Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium

Open Save As dialog:
1. Click the Microsoft Office Button.
2. Select Save As

Copy file to another folder:
3. [Ctrl]+ Right Mouse Button the file name.
4. Drag and drop the file into the backup folder.

Rename file:
5. Click the backup folder.
6. Right click the copied file.
7. Select rename
8. Edit name
9. Accept. [Enter] / Cancel [Esc]

*** good luck ***

" wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to save a copy of a document
without resetting the file location? So, say I am working on a
document saved on the C drive, but want to make a backup copy on to my
M drive...I can save the file to M, but then I am working with the
file on the M drive, not where I originally was in the C drive.
Alternatively, is it possible to save documents in multiple locations
- the C and M drive when you hit save?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

*** Correction ***

Step 3. should be "Left" instead of "Right" Mouse Button.

*** These posts need an edit option ***

" wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to save a copy of a document
without resetting the file location? So, say I am working on a
document saved on the C drive, but want to make a backup copy on to my
M drive...I can save the file to M, but then I am working with the
file on the M drive, not where I originally was in the C drive.
Alternatively, is it possible to save documents in multiple locations
- the C and M drive when you hit save?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

*** addendum ***

Step 0. Save your current version.
*The previous post only makes a copy of your last saved version.*

*** I really could use an edit option ***

" wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to save a copy of a document
without resetting the file location? So, say I am working on a
document saved on the C drive, but want to make a backup copy on to my
M drive...I can save the file to M, but then I am working with the
file on the M drive, not where I originally was in the C drive.
Alternatively, is it possible to save documents in multiple locations
- the C and M drive when you hit save?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

*** addendum 2 ***

Close the Save As Dialog:
10. Click [Cancel] .

*** I hope this is the end ***

" wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to save a copy of a document
without resetting the file location? So, say I am working on a
document saved on the C drive, but want to make a backup copy on to my
M drive...I can save the file to M, but then I am working with the
file on the M drive, not where I originally was in the C drive.
Alternatively, is it possible to save documents in multiple locations
- the C and M drive when you hit save?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] mshall2@gmail.com is offline

This is an issue that Microsoft should have resolved with Word 2007 -
seems like such an obvious addition. (Hopefully they are listening to
this.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

Just remember NEVER save to any form of removable media - floppies, flash
drives, CDRs, etc.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
Does anyone know if it is possible to save a copy of a document
without resetting the file location? So, say I am working on a
document saved on the C drive, but want to make a backup copy on to my
M drive...I can save the file to M, but then I am working with the
file on the M drive, not where I originally was in the C drive.
Alternatively, is it possible to save documents in multiple locations
- the C and M drive when you hit save?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

They did resolve such issues long ago, with the provision of a programming
language. The link to my web site quoted by a couple of contributors shows
how.