Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RBear3 RBear3 is offline

Default File conversion widow every time I open this doc?!?!?!

I had Office 2007 for a while, then reverted to 2003. I have several
documents that I created in 2007 in compatibility mode. For a few of these,
every time I open the document I get a message that says "File Conversion:
select the encoding that makes your document readable." It has a few
options and a preview pane. I select the first one (Windows Default) even
though the preview pane shows gargled data. This opens the document just
fine.

This happens EVERY time I open it though. I even opened it, then saved it
under a new name. I still get this.

How can I get rid of this annoying window?

--
Thanks!

RBear3

Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi R.,

Were you creating the documents in Word 2007 from a .dotM template (usually one other than Normal.dotM) rather than a .dotX
template?

The compatibility pack doesn't handle Word 2007 templates, only documents and documents carry a .dotM reference that can confuse the
compatibility pack which then pops up that dialog. Usually clicking either OK or cancel will open the document.

Once it's open, with the document open use Alt, T, I and see if the attached template name is showing a .dotM file. If so, delete
the information there or attach your usual Normal.dot file save as a new file name and then reopen the document.

Word MVP Graham Mayor has documented this on his website, he
http://gmayor.com/Problems_opening_2007_docs.htm

==================
"RBear3" wrote in message ...
I had Office 2007 for a while, then reverted to 2003. I have several
documents that I created in 2007 in compatibility mode. For a few of these,
every time I open the document I get a message that says "File Conversion:
select the encoding that makes your document readable." It has a few
options and a preview pane. I select the first one (Windows Default) even
though the preview pane shows gargled data. This opens the document just
fine.

This happens EVERY time I open it though. I even opened it, then saved it
under a new name. I still get this.

How can I get rid of this annoying window?

--
Thanks!

RBear3
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is Word set to Confirm Conversion at Open?

Tools - Options - General- 5th option.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible