reades

Default Linking multiple excel worksheets into Word

Hi,

I am linking an excel spreadsheet into Word (2002) using Insert Object.

I want to display several worksheets from the same excel file in the Word
document.

This is easy to set up, but .. if I close and then re-open the Word document
all places in the Word document display the same identical worksheet.

The only solution it seems is to split the excel worksheets into seperate
files. Not an elegant solution. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rod
Shauna Kelly

Hi Rod

Insert Object might not be the best way to go. The following method works
for me. Select the range in Excel and do Edit Copy, Change to Word. Edit
Paste Special. Choose Paste Link, and choose Microsoft Office Excel
Worksheet Object. Now, click OK.

The field that Word inserts is something like the following:
{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "Book1" "Sheet1!R1C1:R3C3" \a \p }

So I can see that the link is to a specific range in a specific worksheet.

By the way, if you don't need to edit the Excel file from within Word, you
might consider pasting as a picture when you do Edit Paste Special. It can
still be linked to the Excel file, and therefore update when the Excel file
updates.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"reades" wrote in message
Hi,

I am linking an excel spreadsheet into Word (2002) using Insert Object.

I want to display several worksheets from the same excel file in the Word
document.

This is easy to set up, but .. if I close and then re-open the Word
document
all places in the Word document display the same identical worksheet.

The only solution it seems is to split the excel worksheets into seperate
files. Not an elegant solution. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rod

reades

Thanks Shauna,
This does what I am looking for. Never thought about using paste special,
strange Word help doesn't point in this direction.

Incidentally I didn't get "\a \p" am I missing out on something?

Thanks again
Rod
PS just peeked at your site, looks interesting especially the Styles stuff -
I might get to understand this one day.

"reades" wrote:

Hi,

I am linking an excel spreadsheet into Word (2002) using Insert Object.

I want to display several worksheets from the same excel file in the Word
document.

This is easy to set up, but .. if I close and then re-open the Word document
all places in the Word document display the same identical worksheet.

The only solution it seems is to split the excel worksheets into seperate
files. Not an elegant solution. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rod

Inserting Excel tables into Word Louise Microsoft Word Help 13 November 1st 05 07:56 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Linking Excel and Word Docs Julie L Microsoft Word Help 1 April 13th 05 02:12 PM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 6th 05 12:23 AM
Word Field Codes in Excel data file mranz Mailmerge 7 December 11th 04 10:02 AM