Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hall[_2_] Hall[_2_] is offline

Default Removing styles from drop down

The drop-down list of styles has way too many styles for my needs. I
want to remove most of them.

I tried using Organizer from the Styles form (that's from the icon
showing the little A and the big blue underlined A). I used it to
remove from the current document the styles I don't want, and added
from my Normal.dot the styles that I do want.

But the drop-down still has all those styles I don't want. How do I
get rid of them?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hall[_2_] Hall[_2_] is offline

Word 2003

OK, how do I control style visibility then?

Thx

On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What version of Word? If it's Word 2002 or above, you can control style
visibility.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"Hall" wrote in message

oups.com...

The drop-down list of styles has way too many styles for my needs. I
want to remove most of them.

I tried using Organizer from the Styles form (that's from the icon
showing the little A and the big blue underlined A). I used it to
remove from the current document the styles I don't want, and added
from my Normal.dot the styles that I do want.

But the drop-down still has all those styles I don't want. How do I
get rid of them?

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the Styles and Formatting task pane, select Show: Custom. This opens a
dialog in which you can set which styles you want to be visible. This
controls the Styles list as well as the task pane.

"Hall" wrote in message
ups.com...
Word 2003

OK, how do I control style visibility then?

Thx

On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What version of Word? If it's Word 2002 or above, you can control style
visibility.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hall" wrote in message

oups.com...

The drop-down list of styles has way too many styles for my needs. I
want to remove most of them.

I tried using Organizer from the Styles form (that's from the icon
showing the little A and the big blue underlined A). I used it to
remove from the current document the styles I don't want, and added
from my Normal.dot the styles that I do want.

But the drop-down still has all those styles I don't want. How do I
get rid of them?

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hall[_2_] Hall[_2_] is offline

....and after I select the ones I want to show, I choose from the
"Show" drop-down "Available styles". That last step seems to be what
activates this filtering. I had to fiddle to finally see that part.

Thanks so much!

"Hall" wrote in message

ups.com...

Word 2003

OK, how do I control style visibility then?

Thx

On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What version of Word? If it's Word 2002 or above, you can control style
visibility.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hall" wrote in message

roups.com...

The drop-down list of styles has way too many styles for my needs. I
want to remove most of them.

I tried using Organizer from the Styles form (that's from the icon
showing the little A and the big blue underlined A). I used it to
remove from the current document the styles I don't want, and added
from my Normal.dot the styles that I do want.

But the drop-down still has all those styles I don't want. How do I
get rid of them?

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, I didn't tell you the last step because I wasn't sure of it myself. The
Styles dropdown ordinarily (and always in earlier versions that don't have
the task pane) displays "Styles in use," and that is what I prefer, since I
want styles I explicitly select (even if they aren't in the list to begin
with) to be added to the list.

oups.com...

"Hall" wrote in message

ups.com...

Word 2003

OK, how do I control style visibility then?

Thx

On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What version of Word? If it's Word 2002 or above, you can control

style
visibility.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so