Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory

Default Including index alters page #ing

I sometimes use what's called a "concordance" file to build an index. Word
finds and tags target words with an index tag. Now, the problem I'm running
into is this--even when I hide all paragraph marks (and the document says 80
pages in length, for example), the TOC seems to INCLUDE the index tags into
the overall pagination, which dramatically lengthens the document. I have an
80 page document but according to the TOC the last chapter starts on page
107. And, again, I have hidden the paragraph marks. Word has no excuse.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem? Thx!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Uncheck the "Hidden text" boxes in the Tools-Options-View and
Tools-Options-Print menus, and then create or update the index.
You have no excuse.

erik_gregory wrote:

I sometimes use what's called a "concordance" file to build an index. Word
finds and tags target words with an index tag. Now, the problem I'm running
into is this--even when I hide all paragraph marks (and the document says 80
pages in length, for example), the TOC seems to INCLUDE the index tags into
the overall pagination, which dramatically lengthens the document. I have an
80 page document but according to the TOC the last chapter starts on page
107. And, again, I have hidden the paragraph marks. Word has no excuse.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem? Thx!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Also uncheck the "Field codes" boxes in the same two places.