Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobLitwack BobLitwack is offline

Default Find & Replace Stops Working

I've been using Word 2000 on a up to date Dell running Windows XP
Professional for quite a long time with no problems. All of a sudden
if I've used Find and Replace once or twice, it stops working
correctly. By that I mean it does not "find" what it is searching for
even though it is there to be found. I've carefully typed and re-typed
the search, cut and pasted and even had it search for the letter "e".
Nothing. If I exit and restart Word (not just that document - I have
to exit the entire application) it works again for one or two instances
and then stops again. While this isn't major it is a pain.

Any suggestions?

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

In the Find dialog box, have you tried clicking the More button and checked
whether one or more of the check box options are turned on?
Also make sure that no formatting is applied to the "Find what" field (click
the No Formatting button to remove it).

Note that the settings in the Find and Replace dialog box may change even if
you do not change them manually. For example, this may happen if you run a
macro that use the Find and Replace functionality if the macro does not
€œclean up€ after itself.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"BobLitwack" wrote:

I've been using Word 2000 on a up to date Dell running Windows XP
Professional for quite a long time with no problems. All of a sudden
if I've used Find and Replace once or twice, it stops working
correctly. By that I mean it does not "find" what it is searching for
even though it is there to be found. I've carefully typed and re-typed
the search, cut and pasted and even had it search for the letter "e".
Nothing. If I exit and restart Word (not just that document - I have
to exit the entire application) it works again for one or two instances
and then stops again. While this isn't major it is a pain.

Any suggestions?

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobLitwack BobLitwack is offline

That may just be it. I use some macros I wrote to search for and
delete some characters in a particular font. I should re-write those
and clear the special formatting before I end the macro.

I'll let you know if it works. Thanks.

Bob Ltiwack

Lene Fredborg wrote:
In the Find dialog box, have you tried clicking the More button and checked
whether one or more of the check box options are turned on?
Also make sure that no formatting is applied to the "Find what" field (click
the No Formatting button to remove it).

Note that the settings in the Find and Replace dialog box may change even if
you do not change them manually. For example, this may happen if you run a
macro that use the Find and Replace functionality if the macro does not
"clean up" after itself.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"BobLitwack" wrote:

I've been using Word 2000 on a up to date Dell running Windows XP
Professional for quite a long time with no problems. All of a sudden
if I've used Find and Replace once or twice, it stops working
correctly. By that I mean it does not "find" what it is searching for
even though it is there to be found. I've carefully typed and re-typed
the search, cut and pasted and even had it search for the letter "e".
Nothing. If I exit and restart Word (not just that document - I have
to exit the entire application) it works again for one or two instances
and then stops again. While this isn't major it is a pain.

Any suggestions?

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobLitwack BobLitwack is offline

Well, it sounded like a great idea but it didn't work. The macro
actually searched for a 44 point font and replaced it with a hard
return "^p". I've re-written the macro and cleared the find to
absolutely nothing (especially no formatting) before it ends. I saved
the macro and exited the program saving the Normal template. I opened
Word and ran the macro and Find lost the ability to find once again.

Puzzling. I thought you had it.

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I think that you have already done this, but anyway:
Have you also _physically_ opened the Find and Replace window _before_
running the revised macro (while the Find function works as expected),
clicked the More button and checked _all_ settings in the dialog box. Then
repeated the same _after_ running the macro in order to check that every
setting is now exactly the same as before running the macro?

--

"BobLitwack" wrote:

Well, it sounded like a great idea but it didn't work. The macro
actually searched for a 44 point font and replaced it with a hard
return "^p". I've re-written the macro and cleared the find to
absolutely nothing (especially no formatting) before it ends. I saved
the macro and exited the program saving the Normal template. I opened
Word and ran the macro and Find lost the ability to find once again.

Puzzling. I thought you had it.

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobLitwack BobLitwack is offline

Yep. I've done that in the past and did it again this morning. The
Find & Replace fields are blank. There is no formatting chosen and the
"No Formatting" box is grayed out showing that there are no formatting
choices to de-select.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"BobLitwack" wrote:
Yep. I've done that in the past and did it again this morning.
The Find & Replace fields are blank. There is no formatting
chosen and the "No Formatting" box is grayed out showing
that there are no formatting choices to de-select.

Hi Bob,

If you use Range.Find instead of Selection.Find in your macro, the Find
dialog won't pick the settings up.
There are probably other ways to clear the dialog programmatically, but that
would be a clean solution.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobLitwack BobLitwack is offline

You probably just went beyond my expertise. I created the macro using
the record macro feature and walked my way through what I needed done.
Would replacing the word "selection" with the word "range" in the macro
do what you suggest?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are basically working with a selection, you can replace
Selection with Selection.Range in your code. For example:
Selection.Find.Text = "text here" would then be replaced with
Selection.Range.Find.Text = "text here".

On the other hand, if you are performing the find and replace on a
whole document (not including headers, footers, and other areas
outside of the main body of the document), ActiveDocument.Content.Find
(etc.) could be used instead, since the Content property on Document
objects references a Range object.

A third possibility is to keep your current code, and then use the
code at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/ClearFind.htm to clear the
settings after each use.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BobLitwack" wrote in message
ups.com...
You probably just went beyond my expertise. I created the macro

using
the record macro feature and walked my way through what I needed

done.
Would replacing the word "selection" with the word "range" in the

macro
do what you suggest?

Find and Replace problems Jammer Microsoft Word Help 3 September 20th 06 02:57 PM
:::Find and Replace Not Working::: Daniel Microsoft Word Help 3 January 18th 06 10:32 PM
Using "Find and Replace" for Symbols Hi Ho Silver Microsoft Word Help 4 June 10th 05 01:44 AM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM