Orrie

Default Find and replace manual line breaks

I just received a multi-page document to rewrite, and it contains
many broken lines on every page,
like this.
These seem to be manual line breaks, however, Find and Replace cannot find
them when I enter the code for manual line break, ^l, in the Find entry
There are no tabs or indents shown on these lines.

How can I automate changing these lines to read full width without all those
breaks?

Thank you.

Orrie

Jay Freedman

Orrie wrote:
I just received a multi-page document to rewrite, and it contains
many broken lines on every page,
like this.
These seem to be manual line breaks, however, Find and Replace cannot
find them when I enter the code for manual line break, ^l, in the
Find entry There are no tabs or indents shown on these lines.

How can I automate changing these lines to read full width without
all those breaks?

Thank you.

Orrie

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm for some advice.
You may be able to copy the line-ends (whatever they are) and paste into the
Find box with Ctrl+V.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Klaus Linke

You may be able to copy the line-ends (whatever they are) and
paste into the Find box with Ctrl+V.

Hi Jay,

Is there some trick to this? I can't manage to copy/paste either manual line
breaks or paragraph marks into the dialog.

Regards,
Klaus

Jay Freedman

Klaus Linke wrote:
You may be able to copy the line-ends (whatever they are) and
paste into the Find box with Ctrl+V.

Hi Jay,

Is there some trick to this? I can't manage to copy/paste either
manual line breaks or paragraph marks into the dialog.

Regards,
Klaus

That's why I said "may". :-) If they're neither manual line breaks nor
paragraph marks, maybe they're some other character that can be pasted.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Orrie

Thank you, but none of the approaches worked. The document I was working
with not a cut and pasted from the web. I got it as a Word doc.

I tried the AutoFormat solution shown on the MVP site. Show/Hide revealed
paragraph symbols, not return arrows, but instead of deleting the breaks,
AutoFormat only opened a small space between lines after each paragraph
symbol.

I'm not sure, but the Word doc I was sent may have been composed on a
Macintosh rather than a PC, and the text could have been lifted from a Quark
document. Would that make a difference? I often work with graphic designers,
who work on Macs, and so have to handle Word docs of uncertain origin on my
Win XP PC

Anyway, I wound up deleting each line break manually so I could get on with
my work.

Orrie

"Orrie" schrieb:
I just received a multi-page document to rewrite, and it contains
many broken lines on every page,
like this.
These seem to be manual line breaks, however, Find and Replace cannot
find them when I enter the code for manual line break, ^l, in the Find
entry
There are no tabs or indents shown on these lines.

How can I automate changing these lines to read full width without all
those breaks?

Thank you.

Orrie

Daiya Mitchell

I'm not sure, but the Word doc I was sent may have been composed on a
Macintosh rather than a PC, and the text could have been lifted from a Quark
document. Would that make a difference? I often work with graphic designers,
who work on Macs, and so have to handle Word docs of uncertain origin on my
Win XP PC

Just by the way--a doc from MacWord is *not* going to create this type of
problem--but since Quark is a page layout program that probably does/can
specify line breaks, sounds like a good theory.

DM

Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace Locks Up Word Karine Rivet Formatting Long Documents 1 January 22nd 05 06:21 AM
Find and Replace Locks Up Word Karine Rivet Microsoft Word Help 0 January 21st 05 10:01 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM