Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vanessa vanessa is offline

Default "Tab" key no longer works as a shortcut to demote items in an outl

Usually if have an outline (like a bulleted or numbered list), and I press
"tab", it demotes the item (e.g., 2.) automatically indents and becomes a.)).
One day it just stopped working. Now if I press "tab", it inserts a tab.
How can I fix this? I tried deleting normal.dotm, but it didn't fix the
problem.

Thanks!
Vanessa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is "Don't use hanging indent as tab stop for bullets and numbering"
checked? (Where to find it depends on your version of Word.)

On Apr 23, 10:48*pm, Vanessa
wrote:
Usually if have an outline (like a bulleted or numbered list), and I press
"tab", it demotes the item (e.g., 2.) automatically indents and becomes a..)).
*One day it just stopped working. *Now if I press "tab", it inserts a tab. *
How can I fix this? *I tried deleting normal.dotm, but it didn't fix the
problem.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vanessa vanessa is offline

Default "Tab" key no longer works as a shortcut to demote items in an

I couldn't find that option exactly... but while I was looking for it, I
found "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" under
Proofing-AutoFormat, and that did the trick. Thanks for your response!

wrote:
Usually if have an outline (like a bulleted or numbered list), and I press
"tab", it demotes the item (e.g., 2.) automatically indents and becomes a..)).
One day it just stopped working. Now if I press "tab", it inserts a tab.
How can I fix this? I tried deleting normal.dotm, but it didn't fix the
problem.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There's a setting that governs this that can be in any of three places
depending on version:

1. Word 2000 and earlier: Tools | Options | Edit: Tabs and backspace set
left indent.

2. Word 2002 and 2003: Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat As You Type:
"Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces."

3. Word 2007: Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options
| AutoFormat As You Type: "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces."

http://word.mvps.org

"Vanessa" wrote in message
Usually if have an outline (like a bulleted or numbered list), and I press
"tab", it demotes the item (e.g., 2.) automatically indents and becomes
a.)).
One day it just stopped working. Now if I press "tab", it inserts a tab.
How can I fix this? I tried deleting normal.dotm, but it didn't fix the
problem.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's what I was hoping to find but I didn't see it anywhere. The
"Don't" one is in the long alphabetical list of "compatibility
options" in 2007 for which no explanation whatsoever is provided in
Help.