Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Print to text file?

Is there a way to print to a text file in Word 2003?

I want to print a list of styles (using the "Print What: Styles" choice on
the Print screen), then bring it into Word and manipulate it.

Or is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

I don't think you're understanding what I want to do. I don't want to save
the document to a file. I know how to do that.

The Print panel permits printing several things other than documents. One
thing is a list of styles. (See "Print What" under File/Print.) I want to
direct that list to a file, rather than to the printer.

"grammatim" wrote:

You can Save As .txt .

On Jan 18, 3:10 pm, Eric wrote:
Is there a way to print to a text file in Word 2003?

I want to print a list of styles (using the "Print What: Styles" choice on
the Print screen), then bring it into Word and manipulate it.

Or is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can set the printer to Generic/Text Only and then use "Print to file."
My experience is that the result contains a lot of garbage, but you might be
able to sift out the worthwhile content from it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Eric" wrote in message
Is there a way to print to a text file in Word 2003?

I want to print a list of styles (using the "Print What: Styles" choice on
the Print screen), then bring it into Word and manipulate it.

Or is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Suzanne - Thanks for the suggestion. It does create a text file, as I wanted.

You're right that the formatting is strange. (I'm doing "Print What:
Styles".) It's got lots of extraneous blanks in it - for example, paragraphs
of 200 characters, with runs of 20-40 consecutive blanks, but which are not
word-wrapped. I can't figure out what's happening. I don't see anything wrong
wih the paragraph formattaing. Even when I apply Normal style to the whole
document, many of the lines run off the right edge of the page. Strange.

It's interesting to try to figure it out, but I think I may have a case
where it's better just to retype the whole darn thing by hand ... unless you
have a better suggestion. My goal is to take the contents of the Style and
Formatting pane, particularly the list of styles, and to get it into a file,
as part of a style guide.

Thanks for your help.

"Eric" wrote in message
Is there a way to print to a text file in Word 2003?

I want to print a list of styles (using the "Print What: Styles" choice on
the Print screen), then bring it into Word and manipulate it.

Or is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can certainly run a find operation to get rid of the excess spaces, but
it may still be easier to retype it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Eric" wrote in message
Is there a way to print to a text file in Word 2003?

I want to print a list of styles (using the "Print What: Styles" choice
on
the Print screen), then bring it into Word and manipulate it.

Or is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Eric wrote:
My goal is to take the
contents of the Style and Formatting pane, particularly the list of
styles, and to get it into a file, as part of a style guide.

For this type of job, I personally would use SnagIt to capture the content
of the task pane. If you have a lot of styles you would have to capture in
sections and paste them together in the SnagIt editor. For style guide
documentation, this has the additional advantage of presenting what you see
on screen and adds the benefit of annotation (there are lots of examples of
the use of SnagIt in the guides on my web site) .

SnagIt is not free (but is good value for such a handy tool). There is a
fully working trial available so you can see if it suits you before forking
out any money.