ginny1956

Default auto correct?

In auto correct, I have several of my usual typos in the auto correct
section, but when I make those errors, it doesn't catch them. Is there
something I am supposed to do to make auto correct work?
Thx

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

From Word 2003's Help:

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options.
To select the options, do one or more of the following:
To show or hide the AutoCorrect Options buttons, select or clear the Show
AutoCorrect Options buttons check box.
To set the capitalization options, select or clear the next five check boxes
in the dialog box.
To turn on or off the AutoCorrect entries, select or clear the Replace text
as you type check box.
To turn on or off the spelling checker corrections, select the Replace text
as you type check box, and then select or clear the Automatically use
suggestions from the spelling checker check box.

Note: To select the Automatically use suggestions from the spelling checker
check box, you must first turn on automatic spell checking (On the Tools
menu, click Options, and on the Spelling & Grammar tab, select the Check
spelling as you type check box

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"ginny1956" wrote in message
In auto correct, I have several of my usual typos in the auto correct
section, but when I make those errors, it doesn't catch them. Is there
something I am supposed to do to make auto correct work?
Thx

Greg Purvis

I am converting text files to Word Documents.
The text files have a lot of spelling mistakes in them.
Many of these errors could be fixed with my AutoCorrect feature.

1) Is there a way to apply AutoCorrect to those text files.

OR

2) Is there a way to convert AutoCorrect's word lists to another format,
from which I could create VB macros.

Or maybe someone has a different method yet, for dealing with this problem.

Thanks for any and all help!

Greg P

Bill Ridgeway

I would advise you not to use auto correct (or indeed auto anything) other
than very judiciously. It is far better (albeit laborious) to check each
error.

Have you heard the one about an author of romantic novels? Having decided
that the hero's eyes should be brown instead of brown she auto-changed all
references of blue to brown and at the climax of the story the hero and
heroine made love under a brown moon. She had overlooked that one, rather
important reference.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Greg Purvis" wrote in message
I am converting text files to Word Documents.
The text files have a lot of spelling mistakes in them.
Many of these errors could be fixed with my AutoCorrect feature.

1) Is there a way to apply AutoCorrect to those text files.

OR

2) Is there a way to convert AutoCorrect's word lists to another format,
from which I could create VB macros.

Or maybe someone has a different method yet, for dealing with this
problem.

Thanks for any and all help!

Greg P

Greg Purvis

Hi, thanks for the reply and tip.

What I wanted was that LIST of before-and-after words that's already been
created in the autocorrect file.

I want to generate a new series of linked macros with a large number of
those words: I had a series of macros like that years ago with WordPerfect,
containing hundreds of either common or reasonably common spelling or
grammar mistakes -- "abou tthe" instead of "about the"... It was a huge
time-saver when those could be corrected automatically.

Many of those are in AutoCorrect and I want to get that list, turn it into
macros that I run against these old text files I'm converting.

No matter how much time it takes to generate that series of macros, it will
save a lot of time in the long-run.

Thanks again, and for any further advice you may have.

GregP

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Someone told me you can access the text list by using the macros he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...utocorrect.htm

But I haven't tested it.

I don't know what you mean by a "series of linked macros" but I would think
your best bet for retrospective application of AutoCorrect would be to use
Find & Replace, and link all the F&R commands into a macro. If you need
help with that, it's best to post on a group with both Word and Programming,
or Word and VBA, in the name, as that's where the macro experts are.

On 7/28/05 5:41 AM, "Greg Purvis" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/