richardb

Default Starting Word 2003 from within an application

I have a medical billing application that allows a user to launch a word
processor from within the program. To set this up in the programs setup
utilities, I must specify the startup program to launch. In older versions of
Word, I could specify WinWord.EXE or similar. If a long path was needed I
could launch a BAT file that contained the path and the EXE program. I don't
know how to accomplish this for Word 2003. Can any one help? Thank you.
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:25:02 -0800, "richardb"
wrote:

I have a medical billing application that allows a user to launch a word
processor from within the program. To set this up in the programs setup
utilities, I must specify the startup program to launch. In older versions of
Word, I could specify WinWord.EXE or similar. If a long path was needed I
could launch a BAT file that contained the path and the EXE program. I don't
know how to accomplish this for Word 2003. Can any one help? Thank you.

It's exactly the same as for previous versions, the only difference
being the version number (11 instead of 10, 9, etc.). If you accepted
the defaults during installation, the path is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\winword.exe

If that doesn't work, use the Search function in Windows Explorer to
find winword.exe -- there should be only one on the disk.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
richardb

Thank you Jay, that worked fine. Now I have a followup question. On another
system Word XP is starting from an admistrative installation of Word XP
located on the server. It's root location is G:\OfficeXP. On the C drive of
the client computer I find the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11 but there is no WinWord.EXE within that folder. What would be
your advise in that case? Thanks...

Richard Bennett

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Richard,

Your command line *must* point to the folder that contains winword.exe. It
doesn't matter what other folders you may find that look like they're
assiciated with Word or Office -- if Word's executable file isn't there, you
have to ignore it.

Does winword.exe appear in G:\OfficeXP? Or is that the folder that contains
the installer (which won't do you any good)?

Besides, OFFICE11 is the folder for Office 2003, not XP. Maybe there was a
failed installation of 2003, or maybe they installed Office 2003 but
excluded Word.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

richardb

Thank you Jay, that should do it.

G:\OfficeXP is simply the root that I created to place the administrative
installation of WordXP. WinWord.EXE is down there under the Office10 folder.
It launches WordXP from any work station. Many thanks.