hazel

Default Some numbers shade gray others do not

When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are not. It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP
Carol

Sounds like you may have some fields in your document for automatic numbering.

"hazel" wrote:

When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are not. It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

Margaret Aldis

Word shades the numbers that belong to the same list. If you have used
paragraph styles to set up numbering (recommended) then using Ctrl_Q (reset
paragraph style) will make all the paragraphs in the same style part of the
same list.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"hazel" wrote in message
news
When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

Daiya Mitchell

The gray shading is just telling you that this is a field. It won't print.
Numbers created by Word as part of a style have to be fields so that Word
can update the numbers as you change the list. Numbers you type yourself are
not fields.

Nothing here is actually problematic, so you will have to explain what you
want to do for real help. If all you want is to hide the field shading, you
can control it via Tools | Options, View tab.

On 7/28/05 11:41 AM, "hazel" wrote:

When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are not. It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

hazel

Hi All: Sorry about the confusion with 2 postings...this is my first attemp
at using the discussion group. In general Margaret is on the right track
with my issue. When I click on number 12...it shades 1 thru 12 gray..as if
the are "connected". I am unclear of what use this connection is either?
However when I select number 13...it is out on it's own shading. Both are
style format "normal". In my second document 1 thru 6 are listed as
"header", and 7-13 are listed as "normal". When I try to get them the
same...by highlighting the line and then changing the style it does not seem
to work or make the entire numbered list "connected" or all to shade gray. I
did not get the Ctrl Q deal to work. I hope this adds a little detail. I
tried to do a screen print, but it does not allow for this to be pasted.
E-mail me back if you need additional details. Thanks, Hazel

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Word shades the numbers that belong to the same list. If you have used
paragraph styles to set up numbering (recommended) then using Ctrl_Q (reset
paragraph style) will make all the paragraphs in the same style part of the
same list.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"hazel" wrote in message
news
When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

Margaret Aldis

OK, you have the numbering applied as direct formatting, unrelated to the
paragraph styles. If you do this Word will try to manage the list numbering
for you, but in any reasonably complicated situation (a.k.a real life)
sooner or later it will fail. The lack of "connection" (the numbering is not
all part of the same list) is definitely a warning sign.

Instead of using the numbering button on the toolbar, try applying List
Number style - you can put a button for it on your toolbar in place of the
standard button. If the number format is not quite as you want it modify the
numbering format of the style. For more details see

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Word shades the numbers that belong to the same list. If you have used
paragraph styles to set up numbering (recommended) then using Ctrl_Q
(reset
paragraph style) will make all the paragraphs in the same style part of
the
same list.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"hazel" wrote in message
news
When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are
not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

hazel

Good Morning Margaret:
Thanks so much for the info. I now have established a customized list as
you indicated via Shaunakelly site. Do you know of any way to correct the
mess I got now? When I tried to color the document and change to my new
customized list it did not really like it if you know what I mean...went back
to times new roman 10 font etc etc. If there is a way to fix my current
document great.....if not I will just move on. Thanks, hazel

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Word shades the numbers that belong to the same list. If you have used
paragraph styles to set up numbering (recommended) then using Ctrl_Q
(reset
paragraph style) will make all the paragraphs in the same style part of
the
same list.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"hazel" wrote in message
news When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are
not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

Margaret Aldis

Hi Hazel

You just need to change other attributes of the style to match the way you
want the text to display - set the font and so on using the Modify dialog
for the style. That way applying the style gives you *all* the formatting
you want in one neat package g.

--

"hazel" wrote in message
news When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are
not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

hazel

Good Morning Margaret: I think I have this figured out (with your help) I
have hopefully one last question. In your previous e-mail you indicated I
could put a button on my toolbar for my new list. How do I complete that?
Thanks, Hazel

"hazel" wrote in message
news When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are
not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

hazel

Margaret: I thought I was done...but now have a re-occuring trouble getting
the font and size to stay in the document. On the Customized Outline
Numbered List dialog box ...I set the font for each level to Arial 12 pt.
Then said Okay. But when I call up my list it comes up times new roman...and
10 or 14 pt...

When I select List Bullet/modify the Modify Style Dialog box appears. There
are selection options for :
Style based on:....
Style for following paragraph
Add tot emplate
Automatically update

I tried to set here...but not really knowing what these options control???
....but it doesn't seem to keep it going from document to document? Any
thoughts? Thanks, Hazel

"hazel" wrote in message
news When I click on my numbers some of them are shaded grey and some are
not.
It
appears to be related to the style format. How can I correct this
problem.
Been searching for 2 days. HELP

Margaret Aldis

Hi Hazel

The "font" button in the numbering just sets the font of the number. From
the Modify Style dialog, Choose Format Font. That will set the font for
the paragraph as a whole.

By default the Style you set up applies only to the current document. If you
check the "Add to template" box it will be written back to the template
attached to your document - that's probably Normal.dot in your case and if
you want your style to apply to all documents you can write the style back
there. Alternatively set up a new template. To get the style to apply to
existing documents, you'll need to copy it in.

To put a toolbar for a style on a toolbar, use Tools Customize Commands.
Select "Styles" from the left hand list and the style you want from the
right. Drag the style to the keyboard.

For more information, start he

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart1.htm