Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WillyDee WillyDee is offline

Default How do I get the overstrike field code (Eq \o) to function?

Hi, I am doing language translation. I am using equation
fields that will post dictionary look up obtained to overstrike the
original language word for example Eq \o(ORIGINAL LANGUAGE, \s\up
n(dictionary lookup)). This works well on my friends computer running Word
2000 (9.0.3821 SR1) (€śdictionary lookup€ť is positioned above and centered
over €śORIGINAL LANGUAGE€ť). but it does not work on my computer even though I
using the same version of word 2000 (9.0.3821 SR1) (I get €śORIGINAL
LANGUAGE€ť €ścommer,€ť followed by a subscripted €śdictionary lookup€ť). All the
words in the translation word file look like this and print like this on my
computer even though they are created on my friends computer. Vice versa-
language translation files created on my computer display as described above
but when transferred to my friends computer they display and print perfectly
as described above. My machine OS is XP professional and my friends is XP
Media Center. All characters display the same on both machines but the
overstrike switch ( Eq \o) seems to be ignored on my computer . Can you
help? Can anyone help? What do I need to do to get it to function as the
documentation says it should.

WillyDee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you clarify whether or not you can actually see the { EQ } field in the
document that you are displaying/printing on your machine (i.e. the ones
that do not work?)

The main thing I would check is whether it had something to do with my
printer driver. (I have to say that even when I use the "Generic/Text
printer driver" here, I don't see the problem you are seeing, but I would
consider changing to a different driver if you have one installed and see if
that makes any difference. It may also be worth checking/unchecking Word
Tools|OPtions|Compatibility options|Use printer metrics)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"WillyDee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WillyDee WillyDee is offline

I can see the { EQ } field on the computer display screen, even the one that
does not work. I can also toggle it. I checked/unchecked
Word|Tools|OPtions|Compatibility options|Use printer metrics)
Im thinking that there is some feature in my implimentation of word that is
either turned on or off. Alternatively it could be some feature in the
operating system that is either implemented or not. I wish to make clear that
even when I open a file that displays and prints the results of the EQ \O
(x,o) field normally on my friends computer using Word 2000 (9.0.3821
SR1).That self same file opened in the same version of Word on my computer
neither displays nor prints normally. Ill get x,o not o overstrike x.
Incidentally Im using a Dell Latitude and my friend a Dell Inspiron.

"WillyDee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

I looked again and the one way I can make this happen is to change the List
Separator character in COntrol Panel|Regional Options to something other
than a comma (e.g. to ";")

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"WillyDee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WillyDee WillyDee is offline

Thank you very very much Peter.
The list Seperator Character in Control Panel|Regional Options was set to (
: ) Ive reset it to ( , ) and now my computer both displays and prints the
overstrike as my friend's does.

WillyDee