Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James B[_2_] James B[_2_] is offline

Default Page Numbering in Word 2007

I can not format my numbering to save my life. I am so frustrated. I want
to insert a page number footer, but every time it won't put the numbers in
sequence. It will just show "1". I read around at other posts already and
it was suggested to delete the building blocks file. I did this and it still
doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you read my previous reply? You haven't answered my question.

http://word.mvps.org

"James B" wrote in message

Anybody please help?

"James B" wrote:

I can not format my numbering to save my life. I am so frustrated. I
want
to insert a page number footer, but every time it won't put the numbers
in
sequence. It will just show "1". I read around at other posts already
and
it was suggested to delete the building blocks file. I did this and it
still
doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James B[_2_] James B[_2_] is offline

No I have not seen it. In this thread? I have not received any replies in
this thread.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you read my previous reply? You haven't answered my question.

http://word.mvps.org

"James B" wrote in message

Anybody please help?

"James B" wrote:

I can not format my numbering to save my life. I am so frustrated. I
want
to insert a page number footer, but every time it won't put the numbers
in
sequence. It will just show "1". I read around at other posts already
and
it was suggested to delete the building blocks file. I did this and it
still
doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, I can see my previous reply in this thread, which says, "Are you using
Insert | Page Number?" In other words, are you actually inserting a PAGE
field or just typing a number?

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you read my previous reply? You haven't answered my question.

http://word.mvps.org

"James B" wrote in message

Anybody please help?

"James B" wrote:

I can not format my numbering to save my life. I am so frustrated.
want
to insert a page number footer, but every time it won't put the
numbers
in
sequence. It will just show "1". I read around at other posts
already
and
it was suggested to delete the building blocks file. I did this and
it
still
doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James B[_2_] James B[_2_] is offline

That is so odd Suzanne, the post is not available for me. It does not show
it at all, like it does not exist.

To answer your question, yes I did Insert-Page Number. It numbers the first
page and second page fine, but then the third page is numbered 2 and the
fourth page is number 2 and so on. When I go ahead to page 3, I tried
changing the page number from 2 to 3, but every page after page 1 changes
with it. I am so confused.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you read my previous reply? You haven't answered my question.

http://word.mvps.org

"James B" wrote in message

Anybody please help?

"James B" wrote:

I can not format my numbering to save my life. I am so frustrated.
want
to insert a page number footer, but every time it won't put the
numbers
in
sequence. It will just show "1". I read around at other posts
already
and
it was suggested to delete the building blocks file. I did this and
it
still
doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Clearly your document has more than one section. Either you have (or someone
has) inserted 2 as a plain number in the header/footer of the second
section, or there are multiple sections with renumbering starting at 2. The
first hypothesis is the more likely. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you read my previous reply? You haven't answered my question.

http://word.mvps.org

"James B" wrote in message

Anybody please help?

"James B" wrote:

I can not format my numbering to save my life. I am so frustrated.
want
to insert a page number footer, but every time it won't put the
numbers
in
sequence. It will just show "1". I read around at other posts
already
and
it was suggested to delete the building blocks file. I did this
and
it
still
doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James B[_2_] James B[_2_] is offline

Okay I think I got it figured out. After reading through that link you
posted, I have a much greater understanding of how the numbering works. Thank
you so much for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Clearly your document has more than one section. Either you have (or someone
has) inserted 2 as a plain number in the header/footer of the second
section, or there are multiple sections with renumbering starting at 2. The
first hypothesis is the more likely. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Thank Bill Coan for writing the article. Also, once you get into page
numbers and sections, you may want to look at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for more insight into
how headers and footers work.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Clearly your document has more than one section. Either you have (or
someone
has) inserted 2 as a plain number in the header/footer of the second
section, or there are multiple sections with renumbering starting at 2.
The
first hypothesis is the more likely. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James B[_2_] James B[_2_] is offline

Well I appreciate you taking the time to help out. I will have to read
through that other link to really hone in my my Word skills. : )