Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jim Jim is offline

Default outline number in 2007

I've been trying for hours to modify the Heading styles in a 2007 Word
document without success. I want my headings to look like:
1 heading 1
1.1 heading 2
1.1.1 heading 3
1.1.2 heading 3
2 heading 1
2.1 heading 2
2.2 heading 2
If I build a new document and define new heading styles, it works. But I
can't get the same results if I try the same technique in an existing
document. The number reset back to 1 for subsequent indentation.
Any suggestions?
This was easy in 2003. I was already put off by the user interface changes
in 2007 that had zero benefit. Now I'm mad.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jim Jim is offline

I'm answering my own question... I've figured out a solution, but it
shouldn't have required this.
I created a new document and modified the Heading styles to be multi-level
lists. I saved this document as a document template. Then I attached this new
..dotx template to the existing word file. That seemed to work. But I'm still
mad.

"jim" wrote:

I've been trying for hours to modify the Heading styles in a 2007 Word
document without success. I want my headings to look like:
1 heading 1
1.1 heading 2
1.1.1 heading 3
1.1.2 heading 3
2 heading 1
2.1 heading 2
2.2 heading 2
If I build a new document and define new heading styles, it works. But I
can't get the same results if I try the same technique in an existing
document. The number reset back to 1 for subsequent indentation.
Any suggestions?
This was easy in 2003. I was already put off by the user interface changes
in 2007 that had zero benefit. Now I'm mad.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft
Word
document at:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

To access the dialog referred to, select the Define New Multilevel list in
the MultiLevel List pulldown

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"jim" wrote:

I've been trying for hours to modify the Heading styles in a 2007 Word
document without success. I want my headings to look like:
1 heading 1
1.1 heading 2
1.1.1 heading 3
1.1.2 heading 3
2 heading 1
2.1 heading 2
2.2 heading 2
If I build a new document and define new heading styles, it works. But I
can't get the same results if I try the same technique in an existing
document. The number reset back to 1 for subsequent indentation.
Any suggestions?
This was easy in 2003. I was already put off by the user interface
changes
in 2007 that had zero benefit. Now I'm mad.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Also, remember to place the insertion point in the first level 1 item of
your list (with heading numbering, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph
of the document) before clicking Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jim" wrote:

I've been trying for hours to modify the Heading styles in a 2007 Word
document without success. I want my headings to look like:
1 heading 1
1.1 heading 2
1.1.1 heading 3
1.1.2 heading 3
2 heading 1
2.1 heading 2
2.2 heading 2
If I build a new document and define new heading styles, it works. But I
can't get the same results if I try the same technique in an existing
document. The number reset back to 1 for subsequent indentation.
Any suggestions?
This was easy in 2003. I was already put off by the user interface
changes
in 2007 that had zero benefit. Now I'm mad.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks for the follow up. One of the reasons I was irritated is because I
followed all the instructions, including this one (start with the first level
1 occurence), but that didn't help. The numbering of the subsequent levels
(level 2 and level 3) were reseting to 1.1 or 1.1.1 with each new first level
heading in the document. As I mentioned, it was no problem creating a new
document that worked properly, but getting the multi-level lists to work
properly in an existing document did not work until I attached a new document
template to the existing document. In 2003, all this would have been
unnecessary.
Ordinarily, I suppose I would not have been irritated with a problem like
this (new problems always surface with new products), but I was already
extremely frustrated with the numerous user interface changes that (at least
for me) added no value.
Thanks for your attention and followup.

"jim" wrote:

I've been trying for hours to modify the Heading styles in a 2007 Word
document without success. I want my headings to look like:
1 heading 1
1.1 heading 2
1.1.1 heading 3
1.1.2 heading 3
2 heading 1
2.1 heading 2
2.2 heading 2
If I build a new document and define new heading styles, it works. But I
can't get the same results if I try the same technique in an existing
document. The number reset back to 1 for subsequent indentation.
Any suggestions?
This was easy in 2003. I was already put off by the user interface
changes
in 2007 that had zero benefit. Now I'm mad.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For problematic headings, try selecting them and pressing Ctrl+Q; this
should reset paragraph-level formatting (including numbering) to that of the
underlying style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP