Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fmedeiros fmedeiros is offline

Default page orientation

i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new doc it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab orientationportrait and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you clicking the Default... button and saving the change after changing
the orientation? Have you checked the printer Properties to make sure that
landscape orientation isn't selected there.

http://word.mvps.org

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new doc it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fmedeiros fmedeiros is offline

please bear with me i am a new user, where is this default button you
mentioned, when i go to officenewblank doccreateit opens in landscape, i
try page taborientationportrait and it does not change
--
frank mede

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new doc it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Your description doesn't make it entirely clear what version you are using.
But are you saying that changing the orientation doesn't work even for the
current document? If so, then I don't know what the problem is. But if you
can change it for the current document, but the change doesn't affect new
documents, then you need to change the default.

I'm going to guess you have Word 2007 and that you're using Page Layout |
Page Setup | Orientation | Portrait. Instead click the dialog launcher
(little arrow in the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group) to open
the Page Setup dialog. Select Portrait orientation there and then click the
Default... button in the lower left corner and answer yes when you are asked
if you want this change to apply to all new documents.

But note that Portrait is the factory-default orientation for Word, so it
may well be that your printer Properties have the default set to Landscape.
To access that, use Start | Settings | Printers | your printer |
Properties or open the Print dialog in Word (Ctrl+P) and click Properties.
The latter *may* not provide access to all properties or change them
perrmanently for the default printer.

http://word.mvps.org

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new doc
it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab
orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fmedeiros fmedeiros is offline

Suzanne thank you for your patience.
I have done both remedys, first was to check my printer properties ,both
with ctrl-p thru word and from start menu etc. etc. , it has the default at
portrait and it always was this way.
I clicked the page dialog launcher:
A page setup box appearsmargins taborientationclicked portrait(a black
square surronds the " A " multiple pages is set at normal apply to whole
doc clicked default
A micro office word box appears:
Do you want change the default settings for page setup?
This change will affect all new documents based on the normal template.
I answered yes
But I still cannot create a doc in portrait it always open in landscape and
as i mentioned before it cannot be changed with page layout orientationit
will not switch back and forth between portrait and landscape.
I am perplexed!
Oh yes you are correct it is word 2007!
Just before I was going to send this to you I had an idea (I tried this),
any doc that i have created and stored before this problem occurred allows me
to switch between portrait and landscape, but from this point forward I
cannot create in portrait nor can I switch from landscape to portrait
--
frank mede

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new doc
it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab
orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You're definitely seeing that Landscape is selected in the Page Setup
dialog? I ask because I am wondering if you are going by the shape of the
page, which may be wider if Track Changes is enabled or if white space is
hidden (neither of these is true by default, but they might somehow have
gotten changed).

Failing all else, I'd suggest looking at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm. Despite the
URL, the article lists troubleshooting techniques for all kinds of problems
in Word, and I would suspect that either renaming Normal.dot or deleting the
Data key might help (possibly even reinstalling the printer driver). Note
that uninstalling/reinstalling will *not* help (it doesn't affect any of the
four major problem areas), so don't waste time on that.

http://word.mvps.org

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new
doc
it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab
orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fmedeiros fmedeiros is offline

thank you Suzanne for your efforts
Your first sentence is puzzling, landscape is not correct, page setup box
clearly has the portrait selected, like i mentioned when you select it a
black square outline surrounds the letter shape with the " A "in the middle.
I've gone this far so can you instruct me on what track changes and white
space changes would be?
--
frank mede

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new
doc
it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab
orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, what I was asking was whether you were seeing that Landscape was
selected even though you had attempted to change the orientation to
Portrait. If portrait is selected and the page still appears to be
landscape, then the other factors could come into play.

Track Changes, by default, uses "balloons" in the margin to show deletions
and comments. In order to do this, it expands the page (on the right side by
default) to create a large margin. But I don't think this is really likely
to be the issue because (a) this doesn't happen until you either insert a
comment or delete text, and that wouldn't apply in a new document, and (b)
the extra margin space is shaded in a different color in Word 2007 so that
it is very obvious.

The white space issue is described at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm; it seems much more likely
to be the problem if in fact the issue is display only.

Does the page appear to be landscape in Print Preview? If so, you might also
check and make sure that you don't have the height and width reversed on the
Paper tab of Page Setup.

http://word.mvps.org

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new
doc
it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab
orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix
this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fmedeiros fmedeiros is offline

again may i thank you for your patience.
let me address your comments in their order.
Your first paragraph hit the nail on its head, yes, portriat shows to be
selected (it is shadowed in golden yellow), when first going to page layout
orientation, but screen is one large white mass, trying to highlight
landscape (gold) screen remains the same and going back to portrait
(highlight gold) screen remains in landscape, so you are correct portrait
shows to be selected but screen is in landscape.
you mentioned print preview, I opened a new blank doc, of course it opens in
landscape, I typed something on it and when I checked print preview it showed
to my amazement correctly in portrait!!!!
as for height and width in page setup it is 8.5 wide and 11 high
--
frank mede

"fmedeiros" wrote in message
i am using microsoft office word 2007, when i open to create a new
doc
it
opens in landscape format, i have gone to page tab
orientationportrait
and
it will not change back it remains in landscape, how do i fix
this
--
frank medeiros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you read the article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm? I suspect this may be the
issue.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fmedeiros fmedeiros is offline

Dear Suzanne
I did look into your suggestion of changing and checking white spaces and
also did a change of the normal.dot. I got a very explicit set of steps from
a Sukhdeep at microsoft techinical help center with the normal .dot and can
now proclaim that doing both of the recommendations, that the problem has
been fully solved.
Again thank you very very much with your patience in this matter.
Thank you again.
--
frank mede

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

How do I change the location and ORIENTATION of the page number ontwo LANDSCAPE pages the middle of a 100 page document ? Yabahoobs Microsoft Word Help 2 September 29th 08 10:08 PM
Landscape orientation selected but prints Portrait orientation Brenda Microsoft Word Help 0 July 12th 06 02:11 PM
extra page when changing page orientation within Word document RCarp Microsoft Word Help 1 April 21st 06 09:43 PM
Page orientation Ben T New Users 4 May 29th 05 11:40 PM
Page orientation A McGovern Page Layout 1 February 22nd 05 12:09 PM