Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RichZep RichZep is offline

Default Page numbers & footers in 2007

I wish to put in three seperate pieces of info in a footer. such as

My Name Handout name
Page X of Y

I can put in the first 2 but when I insert a page number the text
disappears. In previous versions of Word there was a tool bar with a drop
down menu where you could also add the file name. Where is this in 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

I wish to put in three seperate pieces of info in a footer. such as

My Name Handout name
Page X of Y

I can put in the first 2 but when I insert a page number the text
disappears.

Could you please list the EXACT actions you perform up to the point where the
"text disappears"? (By this, I assume you mean "My Name Handout name Page")

In previous versions of Word there was a tool bar with a drop
down menu where you could also add the file name. Where is this in 2007?

Insert/Quick Parts/Field, look for the field FileName

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RichZep RichZep is offline

Hi Cindy,
On the ribbon, I select the Insert tab and then click on Footer icon. From
the menu I select Blank (three columns). I also note here that there are
options for 1 or 3, not 2? I click on the left €˜placeholder and type my
name. Then I click on the middle one and type again. All ok so far. On the
right I want page numbering. On the ribbon (the design tab is active) I click
on the Page Number Icon in the Header and Footer section. From the menu I
select bottom of page, scroll down to x of y and select Bold Numbers 3. The
page numbering goes in but the other text disappears.

In the same vein, maybe you can also tell me how to put in an automatic file
name as I cant find that either.

Thanks for your time and help.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

I wish to put in three seperate pieces of info in a footer. such as

My Name Handout name
Page X of Y

I can put in the first 2 but when I insert a page number the text
disappears.

Could you please list the EXACT actions you perform up to the point where the
"text disappears"? (By this, I assume you mean "My Name Handout name Page")

In previous versions of Word there was a tool bar with a drop
down menu where you could also add the file name. Where is this in 2007?

Insert/Quick Parts/Field, look for the field FileName

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RichZep RichZep is offline

Hi again Cindy,
I have just found the automatic filename. It is in Quick Parts which is in
the insert section. It has page numbering here as well and when used the
other text does not disappear. BUT I am unable an option for X of Y, which is
the one I want.

Thanks again.

"RichZep" wrote:

Hi Cindy,
On the ribbon, I select the Insert tab and then click on Footer icon. From
the menu I select Blank (three columns). I also note here that there are
options for 1 or 3, not 2? I click on the left €˜placeholder and type my
name. Then I click on the middle one and type again. All ok so far. On the
right I want page numbering. On the ribbon (the design tab is active) I click
on the Page Number Icon in the Header and Footer section. From the menu I
select bottom of page, scroll down to x of y and select Bold Numbers 3. The
page numbering goes in but the other text disappears.

In the same vein, maybe you can also tell me how to put in an automatic file
name as I cant find that either.

Thanks for your time and help.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

I wish to put in three seperate pieces of info in a footer. such as

My Name Handout name
Page X of Y

I can put in the first 2 but when I insert a page number the text
disappears.

Could you please list the EXACT actions you perform up to the point where the
"text disappears"? (By this, I assume you mean "My Name Handout name Page")

In previous versions of Word there was a tool bar with a drop
down menu where you could also add the file name. Where is this in 2007?

Insert/Quick Parts/Field, look for the field FileName

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

On the ribbon, I select the Insert tab and then click on Footer icon. From
the menu I select Blank (three columns). I also note here that there are
options for 1 or 3, not 2? I click on the left €˜placeholder and type my
name. Then I click on the middle one and type again. All ok so far. On the
right I want page numbering. On the ribbon (the design tab is active) I click
on the Page Number Icon in the Header and Footer section. From the menu I
select bottom of page, scroll down to x of y and select Bold Numbers 3. The
page numbering goes in but the other text disappears.

OK, I'm with you...

The crux of the problem is that you're dealing with Building Blocks (think
AutoText, but "fancier and new-fangled"). The commands in both lists (Footer as
well as Page Number) *replace* the content of the footer with the Building Block
you're inserting. To put it another way, the selections in the "Page Number"
list don't insert just a page number, they insert the entire footer (containing
only a page number).

What you need to do is click in the third place-holder, then choose "Current
position" from the Page Number list.

If the complete set of three things is something you use often, you can select
it all and create your own buidling block to insert:
1. Select the entire footer
2. Insert tab/Header & Footer group/Footer button
3. Click "Save selection to Footer Gallery".

In the same vein, maybe you can also tell me how to put in an automatic file
name as I cant find that either.

Insert tab/Text group/Quick parts button. Click the "Field" menu entry. Insert
the field named FileName.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RichZep RichZep is offline

Thank you Cindy,

Why Microsoft makes that so hard I don't know but not to worry.

Thanks again

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

Why Microsoft makes that so hard I don't know but not to worry.

I agree that some things for headers and footes are more
difficult to find!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom Tom is offline

Hi Cindy,

I saved my custom footer including formating into the Footer Gallery, using
the Option "to save contents in its own paragraph". The footer consists of
text, tabs and serveral fields, in two paragraphs. However, when I view it in
Building Blocks Organizer or insert it into a new document, the formating of
my custom footer is the same as the Word Blank Footer in the Gallery, i.e.
left indented 5.25 inches with various tabs. All of my text and fields are
present, and the spacing between my paragraphs is correct. How can save my
footer with left indent equal=0?

Thank you.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

By default, the Footer paragraph style is applied to the text in the footer.
Modify this style to have no left indent, and your custom footer should
follow. If that doesn't work, make sure to clear any direct formatting from
your custom footer (by pressing Ctrl+SpaceBar and then Ctrl+Q), and then
recreate the building block.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom" wrote in message
news
Hi Cindy,

I saved my custom footer including formating into the Footer Gallery,
using
the Option "to save contents in its own paragraph". The footer consists of
text, tabs and serveral fields, in two paragraphs. However, when I view it
in
Building Blocks Organizer or insert it into a new document, the formating
of
my custom footer is the same as the Word Blank Footer in the Gallery, i.e.
left indented 5.25 inches with various tabs. All of my text and fields are
present, and the spacing between my paragraphs is correct. How can save my
footer with left indent equal=0?

Thank you.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom Tom is offline

Stefan,

How do I modify the Footer paragraph style so that it modifies my custom
Footer? There are number of options and I'm not sure what thing gets
modified first.

Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
news
Hi Cindy,

I saved my custom footer including formating into the Footer Gallery,
using
the Option "to save contents in its own paragraph". The footer consists of
text, tabs and serveral fields, in two paragraphs. However, when I view it
in
Building Blocks Organizer or insert it into a new document, the formating
of
my custom footer is the same as the Word Blank Footer in the Gallery, i.e.
left indented 5.25 inches with various tabs. All of my text and fields are
present, and the spacing between my paragraphs is correct. How can save my
footer with left indent equal=0?

Thank you.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To modify the Footer style in Word 2007: Click Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display
the Styles pane. Click the Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab, select
"Footer." Click the Modify button.

In the Modify Style dialog box, click Format, and then click Paragraph. On
the Indents and Spacing tab, make sure that "Left" and "Right" is set to
zero and that "Special" is set to "None." Note that this assumes that you
want to change the indentation of *all* footers in the document to zero.
Click OK to confirm the settings. (Of course, you can change other settings
as well, for example font settings, by clicking Format, Font.)

In the Modify Style dialog box, check the "New documents based on this
template" option if you want to transfer the settings to the attached
template. Click OK to close the dialog box.

Alternatively, create and apply a custom style to the paragraphs of your
custom footer, and then recreate the building block.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UmljaFplcA==?=,

On the ribbon, I select the Insert tab and then click on Footer
icon.
From
the menu I select Blank (three columns). I also note here that there
are
options for 1 or 3, not 2? I click on the left
â,¬Ëoplaceholderâ,¬"¢ and type my
[...]

name as I canâ,¬"¢t find that either.