Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg Reese Greg Reese is offline

Default Stop autocorrect for specific style only

In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Modify the style to include the "Do not check spelling or grammar" property
(in earlier versions, you'd do this through Format | Language in the Modify
Style dialog). If you also set the style to some language other than the one
assigned to your .acl (AutoCorrect) file, presumably AutoCorrect won't work,
either.

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a

specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg Reese Greg Reese is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

In one of my custom styles (based on a paragraph style) I did this and it
worked. However, in another custom style (based on a character style) it
doesn't seem to work. In the latter style, the "Do not check spelling or
grammar" box is indeterminate. If I check it, close the Language dialog box
with OK, and then open it right back up the box is unchecked and
indeterminate again. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a

specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can absolutely include this property in a character style (because
language is a character property); is your character style based on Default
Paragraph Font?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Modify the style to include the "Do not check spelling or grammar"

property
(in earlier versions, you'd do this through Format | Language in the

Modify
Style dialog). If you also set the style to some language other than the

one
assigned to your .acl (AutoCorrect) file, presumably AutoCorrect won't

work,
either.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a

specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg Reese Greg Reese is offline

You can absolutely include this property in a character style (because
language is a character property); is your character style based on Default
Paragraph Font?

Yep, sure is. I have Word 2007 on XP. Does the indeterminate checkbox in one
style but not the other mean something?
Greg

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a
specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Generally, gray means that the setting applies to part, but not all, of a
selection. When modifying a style, that doesn't apply.

What's the name of the style for which the "Do not check..." language
setting won't "stick"? If you create a new document, does the setting
"stick" there?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
You can absolutely include this property in a character style (because
language is a character property); is your character style based on
Paragraph Font?

Yep, sure is. I have Word 2007 on XP. Does the indeterminate checkbox in
one
style but not the other mean something?
Greg

so
all may benefit.

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a
specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg Reese Greg Reese is offline

Herb,

What's the name of the style for which the "Do not check..." language
setting won't "stick"?

Computer word

If you create a new document, does the setting
"stick" there?

No, it doesn't. The other style is called "Computer code". I renamed them to
Computer_code and Computer_word, in case Word was only looking at the first
word of the style name, but that didn't help either.

Greg Reese

--

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
In Word 2007, how do I stop autocorrecting or spell checking for a
specific
style only?
Thanks.
Greg Reese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is Computer word a character style or a paragraph style? I'm assuming that
it's a character style, and that Computer code is a paragraph style. Is that
correct?

I'm able to create styles by those names, and the Do not check setting
"sticks". I'm wondering if it might be a normal.dotm corruption problem.

Try starting Word using the /a switch (don't know if you're running XP or
Vista; in XP, Start - Run - type winword.exe /a and press Enter; in Vista,
Start - type winword.exe /a into the Start Search box and press Enter.

When starting Word using the /a switch, do styles now work as you expect
them to? If they do, then the problem might be your normal.dotm file. Try
renaming it as oldnormal.dotm, then start Word (without the /a switch) and
see if the problem remains fixed.

Incidentally... Suzanne's trick of also setting a different language to
prevent unintended AutoCorrect expansion works here, but only if I use a
language I actually have. If I set it to Russian, for example, each
character I type (even with Detect language automatically turned off)
registers as English. If I set the language to Spanish and enable "Do not
check," then spelling is ignored and AutoCorrect terms are not expanded
(unless they actually correspond to Spanish .acl items) .

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

Herb,

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
You can absolutely include this property in a character style (because
language is a character property); is your character style based on
Paragraph Font?

Yep, sure is. I have Word 2007 on XP. Does the indeterminate checkbox
in
one
style but not the other mean something?
Greg

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg Reese Greg Reese is offline

Is Computer word a character style or a paragraph style?
Computer word is a character style based on "default Paragraph font".

I'm assuming that
it's a character style, and that Computer code is a paragraph style. Is that
correct?

Correct on both.

I'm able to create styles by those names, and the Do not check setting
"sticks". I'm wondering if it might be a normal.dotm corruption problem.

Try starting Word using the /a switch (don't know if you're running XP or
Vista; in XP, Start - Run - type winword.exe /a and press Enter; in Vista,
Start - type winword.exe /a into the Start Search box and press Enter.

I'm running XP.

When starting Word using the /a switch, do styles now work as you expect
them to?

No, I still have the same problem.

Is it appropriate to post the document or is that bad netiquette in this
newsgroup?

Thanks.
Greg Reese

Herb,

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Bad netiquette to add attachments here. However, if you care to email it to
me, I can take a look and see if I encounter the same problem you do. If you
care to send to me, send to herb at herbtyson.com.

--

"Greg Reese" wrote in message
[...]

Herb,

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For lurkers...

Greg sent me the document. Somehow, the "Computer word" style has gotten
corrupted. I was able to fix the problem by deleting that style, recreating
it, and applying it to the same bits of text. I've sent the repaired
document back to Greg to see if it remains fixed.

Herb Tyson
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

http://www.herbtyson.com