Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TW TW is offline

Default how can i enter names on a calender and let it auto sequence

i have five names i need to enter to work overtime for every month of the
year is there a way that i can enter the names and word will automatically
enter them in the calender and make sure that it is evenly distributed?
ex: i have bob,sue,mike,troy,and brad. bob/sue/mike are to be rotated
between 1st and 2nd shift troy and brad only needs to be rotated between
third shift. is there a way i can do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There's no way to do this automatically in Word (as you could in Excel). I
do something similar in Word, though, that might work for you (you'd need to
modify the method). I have a situation where I have four tasks that have to
be rotated among a given number of people so that each one will do each task
at least once. This is reasonably easy to do provided the number of people
is not a multiple of four. Here's how I do it:

1. Type each name and press Enter (each name is in a separate paragraph).

2. Select the list, copy, and paste three times, so that each name appears
four times.

3. Select the new list and use Table | Convert | Text to Table, separating
at paragraph marks and specifying four columns. This places the names in a
table of four columns and as many rows as there are names.

It would take some trial and error (and logic) to figure out how to set this
up, but perhaps the Text to Table approach could also work for you.

"TW" wrote in message
i have five names i need to enter to work overtime for every month of the
year is there a way that i can enter the names and word will automatically
enter them in the calender and make sure that it is evenly distributed?
ex: i have bob,sue,mike,troy,and brad. bob/sue/mike are to be rotated
between 1st and 2nd shift troy and brad only needs to be rotated between
third shift. is there a way i can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I was thinking of was the way Excel lets you set up a pattern of
repeating data and use AutoFill to drag and fill cells with it. But this
probably wouldn't work here.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"TW" wrote in message
i have five names i need to enter to work overtime for every month of

the
year is there a way that i can enter the names and word will

automatically
enter them in the calender and make sure that it is evenly

distributed?
ex: i have bob,sue,mike,troy,and brad. bob/sue/mike are to be rotated
between 1st and 2nd shift troy and brad only needs to be rotated

between
third shift. is there a way i can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Not automatic as I know nothing about your calendar, but the following
simple macro will insert a rotated overtime pattern shown at the start, for
the selected month, at the cursor.
The macro is easily edited if I have misunderstood your rotation pattern.

Sub Overtime()
'January Bob Mike Troy
'February Sue Bob Brad
'March Mike Sue Troy
'April Bob Mike Brad
'May Sue Bob Troy
'June Mike Sue Brad
'July Bob Mike Troy
'August Sue Bob Brad
'September Mike Sue Troy
'October Bob Mike Brad
'November Sue Bob Troy
'December Mike Sue Brad

Dim strMonth As String
Dim strText As String
Dim strFirst As String
Dim strSecond As String
Dim strThird As String

Start:
strMonth = InputBox("Enter Month Number - 1 to 12", _
"Month", Format(Date, "M"))
If strMonth = "" Then GoTo Cancelled:

If strMonth 12 Then
MsgBox "There are only 12 months in a year!", vbExclamation, "Month"
GoTo Start:
End If

If strMonth = 1 Then
strFirst = "Bob"
strSecond = "Mike"
strThird = "Troy"
End If

If strMonth = 2 Then
strFirst = "Sue"
strSecond = "Bob"
strThird = "Brad"
End If

If strMonth = 3 Then
strFirst = "Mike"
strSecond = "Sue"
strThird = "Troy"
End If

If strMonth = 4 Then
strFirst = "Bob"
strSecond = "Mike"
strThird = "Brad"
End If

If strMonth = 5 Then
strFirst = "Sue"
strSecond = "Bob"
strThird = "Troy"
End If

If strMonth = 6 Then
strFirst = "Mike"
strSecond = "Sue"
strThird = "Brad"
End If

If strMonth = 7 Then
strFirst = "Bob"
strSecond = "Mike"
strThird = "Troy"
End If

If strMonth = 8 Then
strFirst = "Sue"
strSecond = "Bob"
strThird = "Brad"
End If

If strMonth = 9 Then
strFirst = "Mike"
strSecond = "Sue"
strThird = "Troy"
End If

If strMonth = 10 Then
strFirst = "Bob"
strSecond = "Mike"
strThird = "Brad"
End If

If strMonth = 11 Then
strFirst = "Sue"
strSecond = "Bob"
strThird = "Troy"
End If

If strMonth = 12 Then
strFirst = "Mike"
strSecond = "Sue"
strThird = "Brad"
End If

strText = "First Shift: " & vbTab & strFirst & _
vbCr & "Second Shift: " & vbTab & strSecond & _
vbCr & "Third Shift: " & vbTab & strThird

With Selection
.Font.Bold = True
.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle
.TypeText Text:="OVERTIME"
.TypeParagraph
.Font.Bold = False
.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
.TypeText strText
End With
Exit Sub
Cancelled:
MsgBox "User Cancelled!", vbInformation, "Cancelled"
End Sub