Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MAS-013 MAS-013 is offline

Default Word 2007 Crash on Startup

Whenever I try to run Word 2007 (part of Enterprise suite), I receive the
Microsoft Office Word has stopped working message. I am running in Vista
Ultimate. I have tried winword /a and it runs then. I'd like to get around
this problem. I have tried deleting/renaming the normal.dot template and I
have deleted the data key. Is there a FAQ or reference I can use to address
this problem that is customized for Vista. I tried the old one build around
XP, but maybe I am missing the location of the critical template. Sorry if
the answer is obvious, but I have looked around quite a bit.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The normal template in Word 2007 is normal.dotm. If you're deleting
normal.dot, it likely is leftover from Word 2003 or earlier.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"MAS-013" wrote in message
Whenever I try to run Word 2007 (part of Enterprise suite), I receive the
Microsoft Office Word has stopped working message. I am running in Vista
Ultimate. I have tried winword /a and it runs then. I'd like to get
around
this problem. I have tried deleting/renaming the normal.dot template and
have deleted the data key. Is there a FAQ or reference I can use to
address
this problem that is customized for Vista. I tried the old one build
around
XP, but maybe I am missing the location of the critical template. Sorry
if
the answer is obvious, but I have looked around quite a bit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MAS-013[_2_] MAS-013[_2_] is offline

Herb--

Thanks for getting back to me. I had deleted the *.dotm files in my VISTA
User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder, but it got me to thinking,
so I did a search for *.dotm (I'm saving in 2003 format because my employer
is not on 2007 yet) and found another normal.dotm in the Windows.old folder
under my old XP document structure. Even though all my Word 2007 settings
are for the new framework (I migrated when I still had Office 2003), it was
apparently pointing there for some reason. I deleted the normal.dotm there
and it opened without a problem. I'm not sure why or how word found and
attached to this file, but it might be one more area to point people whien
this happens. Thanks for your help and your service to the user
community--my Word appears to be alive again!

"MAS-013" wrote in message
Whenever I try to run Word 2007 (part of Enterprise suite), I receive the
Microsoft Office Word has stopped working message. I am running in Vista
Ultimate. I have tried winword /a and it runs then. I'd like to get
around
this problem. I have tried deleting/renaming the normal.dot template and
have deleted the data key. Is there a FAQ or reference I can use to
address
this problem that is customized for Vista. I tried the old one build
around
XP, but maybe I am missing the location of the critical template. Sorry
if
the answer is obvious, but I have looked around quite a bit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lmv lmv is offline

Default Word 2007 Crash on CLOSE ALSO

I just wanted to thank you for your post and for the answers others gave and
post an additional note to this problem...
I have been having this problem on CLOSE since I loaded Office 2003 on Vista
machine only with WORD. It would save the file but I would get
"Microsoft has stopped working" which was annoying.
THE FIX IS:
I went to User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder and found
~$Normal.dot in the same file . Deleted it and now the error is gone! There
is a Normal.dot file there still.

Hopefully I won't be posting on this subject again!
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lmv lmv is offline

Spoke too soon... problem still there...
uggggggg

"lmv" wrote:

I just wanted to thank you for your post and for the answers others gave and
post an additional note to this problem...
I have been having this problem on CLOSE since I loaded Office 2003 on Vista
machine only with WORD. It would save the file but I would get
"Microsoft has stopped working" which was annoying.
THE FIX IS:
I went to User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder and found
~$Normal.dot in the same file . Deleted it and now the error is gone! There
is a Normal.dot file there still.

Hopefully I won't be posting on this subject again!
Thanks!

Error Msg on startup of Word 2007 (A New Document.Ink) Wayne[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 1 September 29th 07 05:10 PM
Word 2007 crash jacame New Users 14 July 31st 07 10:07 AM
Fax with word 2007 - complete crash Leslie Mailmerge 2 March 12th 07 05:05 PM
Maximise word 2007 window on startup Paul Page Layout 1 February 16th 07 03:07 PM
Word 2007: Equation editor objects cause word to crash?? Joost Microsoft Word Help 1 June 23rd 06 04:57 PM