Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ceallagh ceallagh is offline

Default Undo list showing letters (keystrokes), not whole words, sentences

This is sort of hard to explain, but the undo function has stopped undoing
words, sentences, etc., and now undoes keystrokes instead. So, for example,
to delete the word "example" I have to click undo 7 times instead of once.
This isn't because I am typing slowly.

This only occurs when I have inserted a footer with an automatic page number
by using the "insert page number" or "insert footer (that includes an auto
page number)." I found that out by accident. I have no idea why it would be
the case, but as soon as I delete the automatic number, the problem goes
away. Strangely, if I insert a blank footer, then "insert field" then select
page number, as opposed to using the predone ones from the ribbon, I don't
have a problem.

This is Word 2007 on XP. I tried renaming both my Building Blocks.dotx and
Normal.dotx so that Word would make new ones, thinking that they were somehow
corrupted, but that didn't change anything.

I would appreciate any insight that anyone has.