Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RayC RayC is offline

Default Chapter start - no H1 number wanted, but TOC-1 numbered entry want

I would like my Word 2003 doc to have a numbered TOC entry in it (based on
H1), but on the page that starts the chaper, I would like a chapter title (no
number) that is the same as the H1 TOC entry. Currently I am having to put a
H1 line on the chapter page, and repeating the chapter title text above the
H1 text looks a bit silly.
The layout is:
TOC1/2/3 at the start of the doc (based on H1/2/3)
Chapter page:
Chapter text (like "Getting Started")
H1 line (to get the TOC emtry)
H2 line & text, and so on.
Hiding the H1 entry (via hidden text) is no good - it also gets hidden from
the TOC. Can I display hidden text in the TOC? Or can I turn numbering off
just for the display of H1 in my doc (when I can then use it as the chapter
title).
Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See the relevant section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm,
which explains how to do this. Note that a large part of the solution is to
use Heading 1 for your chapter titles.

"rayc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Use an un-numbered heading style in the main body of the document, and then
add numbering to the TOC 1 style (to get numbering in the table of
contents).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rayc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RayC RayC is offline

Default Chapter start - no H1 number wanted, but TOC-1 numbered entry

Hi Both.
Great - I have managed to create a new style for the Chapter Title text and
have altered the H1 style to show just a number with nothing after it as the
main number for the chapter. This then increments for each chapter and feeds
into my H2/H3, as before. Then linking the Chapter Title style to TOC1 and
removing the H1 style from the TOC has solved it for me.
This will look really good in my user guides.
Many thanks.

"rayc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See the relevant section of
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm,
which explains how to do this. Note that a large part of the solution is
use Heading 1 for your chapter titles.

so
all may benefit.

"rayc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Great! I'm glad you found that helpful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See the relevant section of

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm,
which explains how to do this. Note that a large part of the solution is

use Heading 1 for your chapter titles.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.