Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Hilbrink Mark Hilbrink is offline

Default TOC won't keep increased levels I set

I'm using Word 2003, and I set the # of levels to 5, but after I get out (and
it asks if I want to re-format, implying it noticed there was a change), I go
back in again, and it still says '3'!
--
Science-based nutrition! See TIOEnterprises.net
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Hilbrink Mark Hilbrink is offline

One more question (wouldn't allow me to post a new one on same day,
apparently):

I can't seem to figure out how to "edit" a "TOC 1" heading, so that the page
number [right tab/margin] is aligned w/ all successive ones... I set it by
hand, but when I updated the table, it reverted back to having the page
number 1/2" past the rest of them. I searched thru the various Word Help
utilities, but nothing seemed to address this issue. And I could find nothing
under the TOC Options, either...
--

"Mark Hilbrink" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003, and I set the # of levels to 5, but after I get out (and
it asks if I want to re-format, implying it noticed there was a change), I go
back in again, and it still says '3'!
--
Science-based nutrition! See TIOEnterprises.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are trying to add more levels of headings to an existing table of
contents, it will be easier to edit the field code directly. Press Alt+F9 to
show field codes; you'll see something like this: { TOC \o "1-3" \h }.
Replace 3 with 5. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field code. Then press F9 to
update the table of contents.

On the other hand, if you are trying to change the defaults for TOCs in
Word, then you are out of luck. Each time you visit the Index and Tables
dialog box, you are presented with the factory defaults.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mark Hilbrink" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003, and I set the # of levels to 5, but after I get out
(and
it asks if I want to re-format, implying it noticed there was a change), I
go
back in again, and it still says '3'!
--
Science-based nutrition! See TIOEnterprises.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Since the TOC styles are set to update automatically, you should be able to
fix this by dragging the right-aligned tab stop into the correct position
(to fine-tune it, hold Alt while dragging). If that doesn't work, modify the
TOC 1 style directly. Display the Modify Style dialog box
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...fyAStyle.html), then click
Format, Tabs. You may have to delete the problematic tab stop before
inserting one in the correct location. When you are done, click OK to
confirm the settings.

--

"Mark Hilbrink" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003, and I set the # of levels to 5, but after I get out
(and
it asks if I want to re-format, implying it noticed there was a change),
I go
back in again, and it still says '3'!
--
Science-based nutrition! See TIOEnterprises.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Hilbrink Mark Hilbrink is offline

Thanks, Stefan!

I think both of these fixes worked, but both changes made my '......' go
away. (An unexpected/undesired result!) I will now try to make them come
back...

Mark H.
--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Hilbrink Mark Hilbrink is offline

Well, I actually tried that. It always reverts back to what it was... very
frustrating! What's the deal?
--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Do it via the Modify Style dialog box
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...fyAStyle.html), carefully making
sure to delete any unnecessary tab stops. Note that if your headings are
outline-numbered, and numbers are followed by a tab character, you'll need
two tab stops: one for the tab character and one for the page number at the
right margin (and, of course, only the latter should have a tab leader).

If the above doesn't work, what does your TOC field code look like?