Mike T.

Default Formatting Changes when opening in word 2002, 2003

Hi all, total newb here when it comes to word so please be gentle. Our office
is a mix of word 2000 and 2002(xp I guess?) and recently we have noticed that
certain documents that we have had for years now (engineering specifications)
lose all their formatting when they are opened on a machine with word 2002.
They look so bad that they basically need to be re-done from scratch which
isn't really an option since they're all around 50+ pages. These same
documents look fine on 2000. Being that I don't really work with word that
much I'm not sure where to start and any help will be greatly appreciated as
our poor secretary is on the verge of pulling her hair out!

Thanks so much.

Mike
Anne Troy

Mike, it sure sounds to me like that machine is opening documents using the
Recover Text from any file option... Have the user hit File--Open. What is
the files of type? It had better be doc and not Recover Text...
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mike T." wrote in message
[...]

Mike T.

Thanks Anne, for getting back to me so quickly. We tried the file-open
method in word 2002 and it was set to 'All Word Documents'. I set it to .doc
and still had the same problem when opening the documents in question. I
have been told that the documents we're having problems were copied from our
specification CD and then 'modified' by users using word 2000. Like me,
they're not very good with word either and over the years, these
'modifications' seem to have taken their toll. What gets lost when opening in
word2002 is the outlining and tabs that were set in word 2000. I hope this
helps?

Thanks again Anne,

Mike