Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Malcolm

Default Insert row

Hi Folks,

I am new to MS Office, I am used to Word Perfect. I have created a
Table in MS Word 2003. While working on the initial build of the table
I had inserted more rows as needed with no problems. When I saved and
exited the file and later returned to work on it again I had a
problem. When I insert a row now the text is cut off at the top. I
cannot find a way to reformat the cell to accommodate the text. The
font is 12 point and it is chopped off at the top to about 8 point.
Did not have this problem when initially adding rows to the table. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Later,
Malcolm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Anne Troy

There are several things that could cause this behavior. Since you're coming
from WordPerfect, I suspect the first.
1. Select the text and Format--Paragraph and set line spacing to Single. I
see lots of WP documents come across at a specific measurement instead.
2. Select the row (click inside and hit Table--Select Row) and hit
Table--Properties, Row tab and uncheck the Specify height checkbox.
There could be other reasons, but these two are most likely, I think.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Malcolm" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I am new to MS Office, I am used to Word Perfect. I have created a
Table in MS Word 2003. While working on the initial build of the table
I had inserted more rows as needed with no problems. When I saved and
exited the file and later returned to work on it again I had a
problem. When I insert a row now the text is cut off at the top. I
cannot find a way to reformat the cell to accommodate the text. The
font is 12 point and it is chopped off at the top to about 8 point.
Did not have this problem when initially adding rows to the table. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Later,
Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Anne Troy

LOL. I don't know how "6 pts before" helped because that's "above" the text
and not to the left of it, but whatever works!
************
Glad to help!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:03:02 -0500, "Anne Troy"
wrote:

There are several things that could cause this behavior. Since you're
coming
from WordPerfect, I suspect the first.
1. Select the text and Format--Paragraph and set line spacing to Single.
see lots of WP documents come across at a specific measurement instead.
2. Select the row (click inside and hit Table--Select Row) and hit
Table--Properties, Row tab and uncheck the Specify height checkbox.
There could be other reasons, but these two are most likely, I think.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Malcolm" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Folks,

I am new to MS Office, I am used to Word Perfect. I have created a
Table in MS Word 2003. While working on the initial build of the table
I had inserted more rows as needed with no problems. When I saved and
exited the file and later returned to work on it again I had a
problem. When I insert a row now the text is cut off at the top. I
cannot find a way to reformat the cell to accommodate the text. The
font is 12 point and it is chopped off at the top to about 8 point.
Did not have this problem when initially adding rows to the table. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Anne,

Well your help did the trick. I selected the text and used
format/paragraph and then indents and spacing. I chose "spacing before
as 6 pt." and that solved the problem. This table was built in Word
2003, but the text was copied and pasted from Word Perfect. I
understand how to fix the added row in the table now. Thanks for the
input.

Thanks

Later,
Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The issue here generally is that tables in WordPerfect docs often convert
with unreasonably small Exact row height. If you set the height to Auto,
that usually takes care of the problem.

"Malcolm" wrote in message

"Malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

Well the 6 points above left a blank spot where the text below could
now show the entire height of the text. Even though there was already
a small margin area above.

Anyway I now know the Word Perfect formatting was causing the problem.
It never fails when you convert from one program to another. I should
have guessed.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks

Later,