Mason Jeffrys, Dolores Street Community

Default Automatically Updating Custom Templates on Many Computers

We're a small nonprofit so I hope someone has an easy and quick solution!

Rather than reprinting our letterhead every time our board of directors
change (pretty often), we use a template in Word with the board listed in a
text box that I can update easily enough and manage. However, other staff
end up using old version or forgetting where to save it so it shows up as an
option. So I'm wondering if there's some way to use linked or embedded
objects so that the template on thier work station is updated automatically
over the server from one master version such that the staff don't have to do
anything? Thanks!
Charles Kenyon

Yes, there is. Actually there are several ways. I'll go into a couple here.
The way I do it is to have one (or more) base letterhead templates. These
contain the letterhead as well as letter styles. The template contains a
document variable with the template's name. An autonew macro in the template
checks against the variable to see whether the template's name matches the
variable. If not, it finds the base template and copies the letterhead
information and styles from the base template. (A variation actually
attaches the new document to the base template upon completion of the
AutoNew macro.)

Dependent templates are then created that contain form text. When a document
is created based on the dependent template, the AutoNew macro pulls in the
updated info from the base template. Changes made to the base template are
thus incorporated in any new documents created.

A more elegant solution is to only use one template with a userform and with
boilerplate text in AutoText. On starting the new document, the userform
pops up and asks which letter form you want. You check a choice and your
boilerplate is inserted in the letter and you proceed from there. The
problem with this solution is that you need someone competent in vba to not
just create the system but to maintain it. Any time a new form letter is
needed, someone has to add the AutoText to the template and then change the
userform to allow for that particular form.

I use my method because for me it is essential that the saved document be
historically correct. That is, once a new document is created, I want to be
able to print it three years later and get the same document that I had when
it was created (without updates). A new document, created from the same
template though, will have the new information. If this isn't necessary for
you, an easier solution is to put your letterhead elements into AutoText in
a global template and use AutoText fields in your document templates that
draw on those entries. Doing it this way, it is possible that the historical
document will have the new data unless you take steps to prevent that
happening.

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This won't give further
guidance on your specific question but should help you in setting up a solid
letterhead template. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon