Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Default Same apparant paragraph - two styles - Word 2000

Hello All, I have a document that has seemingly single paragraphs with a
heading style applied to the first sentence (paragraph title), and body text
applied to the remainder. When I click the show/hide button, there appears
to be an end of paragraph marker at the end of the title text. But in print
preview, the title and the text all appear to be one paragraph.

Does anyone know how this is done. When I try, all I'm able to do is put in
a hard return and the title and text split (in both print preview and with
formatting showing)

Thanks, Jim.

Windows XP, Word 2000.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Check the paragraph marker and see whether it's formatted as hidden text. I
think that would produce the symptoms you describe.

"Jim" wrote:

Hello All, I have a document that has seemingly single paragraphs with a
heading style applied to the first sentence (paragraph title), and body text
applied to the remainder. When I click the show/hide button, there appears
to be an end of paragraph marker at the end of the title text. But in print
preview, the title and the text all appear to be one paragraph.

Does anyone know how this is done. When I try, all I'm able to do is put in
a hard return and the title and text split (in both print preview and with
formatting showing)

Thanks, Jim.

Windows XP, Word 2000.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

THAT'S IT!! You called it.

Thanks a ton.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

"Jim" wrote:

Hello All, I have a document that has seemingly single paragraphs with a
heading style applied to the first sentence (paragraph title), and body text
applied to the remainder. When I click the show/hide button, there appears
to be an end of paragraph marker at the end of the title text. But in print
preview, the title and the text all appear to be one paragraph.

Does anyone know how this is done. When I try, all I'm able to do is put in
a hard return and the title and text split (in both print preview and with
formatting showing)

Thanks, Jim.

Windows XP, Word 2000.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

In that case, please click Yes on the "Was this post helpful?" (or "Did this
post answer your question?") question.

"Jim" wrote:

THAT'S IT!! You called it.

Thanks a ton.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

"Jim" wrote:

Hello All, I have a document that has seemingly single paragraphs with a
heading style applied to the first sentence (paragraph title), and body text
applied to the remainder. When I click the show/hide button, there appears
to be an end of paragraph marker at the end of the title text. But in print
preview, the title and the text all appear to be one paragraph.

Does anyone know how this is done. When I try, all I'm able to do is put in
a hard return and the title and text split (in both print preview and with
formatting showing)

Thanks, Jim.

Windows XP, Word 2000.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

By the way, that trick is particularly useful if you have a heading that
contains a reference or something else you don't want to show up in the TOC.
Sometimes I'll have a heading that says something like
4.2 Hazardous Materials Requirements (from 29 CFR 1910.1200)
If I don't want the reference to show up in the TOC, I'll put in a hidden
paragraph break between them and then format the first part as Heading 2 and
the second part as Normal or something else that won't show up in the TOC.
It works fairly well most of the time.

Fred

"Jim" wrote:

THAT'S IT!! You called it.