Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Willis

Default Using two fonts

Hi,

The Tooth Faerie periodically responds to letters from my daughter by
writing using a TTF font called "FairyScrollDisplay". The problem is
that the font contains alpha characters, but no numerals or punctuation
marks. It takes a lot of time to edit the document so that alpha
characters display in FairyScroll and other characters in another font,
such as Times New Roman.

Right now the document is composed in Times New Roman, 18 pts. I created
a style called "fairy" using "FairyScrollDisplay" in 18 pts. The
document is then converted to FairyScroll by selecting individual blocks
of text and converting them to the "Fairy" style, leaving punctuation
and numerals intact in the Times New Roman font.

Is there a shortcut or workaround that will cut down on manual editing?
It would save the Tooth Faerie some sleepless nights spent editing
documents, and allow her to devote more time to building her castle with
all those teeth she is collecting!

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer

Might be time to change fonts... You can make your own font and add the
characters you need or simply add to this one.
Look at other exotic type fonts.
http://fonts.lordkyl.net/
There is a tutorial here that walks you through making your own fonts with
CorelDraw.

A good font source for exotics is here with links to others sites.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...1557/fonts.htm

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Greg Willis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Hi Greg,

You could use a macro to accomplish this. It doesn't work with styles though.

Record any macro, say record clicking the B-button on the Formatting
toolbar, and be sure to choose Normal.dot under 'Store macro in'.
Choose Tools | Macro Macro's..., select your macro and choose Edit. The
VBA-editor opens.
Replace the entire macro by the following:

Sub TTF()
With Selection
.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
.MoveRight Extend:=wdExtend

While .End ActiveDocument.Range.End
If InStr("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ", UCase(.Text)) Then
.Font.Name = "FairyScrollDisplay"
Else
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
End If
.MoveRight
.MoveRight Extend:=wdExtend
Wend
End With
End Sub

Click the Save button in the VBA editor to save Normal.dot. Close the VBA
editor. In Word, choose Tools | Macro Macros... Select TTF and click Run.

Any letter will be put in FairyScrollDisplay while any other character will
be put in Times New Roman.
Bewa the macro skips tables.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"Greg Willis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Record any macro, say record clicking the B-button on the Formatting
toolbar, and be sure to choose Normal.dot under 'Store macro in'.
Choose Tools | Macro Macro's..., select your macro and choose Edit.
The
VBA-editor opens.

Why not just: Press ALT+F11

And instead of cycling through each letter (while understandably
insignificant in a letter from the tooth fairy it might be laborious in
say War and Peace) why not start out with Time New Roman and then
something like:
Sub TTF1()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
With oRng.Find
.MatchWildcards = True
.Text = "[A-z]"
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "FairyScrollDisplay"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
End Sub

Seems faster and as a bonus it doesn't skip tables.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

OK.
--
PS: Werkt deze oplossing voor jou en log je in via de Microsoft site, klik
dan svp even op Yes bij "Did this post answer the question?". Bedankt.

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

As another bonus, it applies FairyScrollDisplay to [ \ ] ^ _ and `.
Perhaps I'm squabbling, but, well, they're not letters.

Cooz

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Well touche. I suppose we have both learned a lesson of the importance
of testing. Good thing this was just a letter to the tooth fairy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Cooz,

I haven't dug into the inconsistencies wrt the range [A-z] processing
the six characters your test revealed. Still I think it better to
process as much of a document in bulk as possible and then go back and
sort out the cats and dogs. Perhaps something like:

Sub TTF2()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Dim myArray As Variant
Dim i As Long
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
With oRng.Find
.MatchWildcards = True
.Text = "[A-z]"
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
myArray = Split("`,[,],^,_,\", ",")
For i = 0 To UBound(myArray)
With oRng.Find
.MatchWildcards = False
.Text = myArray(i)
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
Next i
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Cooz,

It appears that the behavior is due to the character codes of those six
characters.

A-Z is 65 though 90. a is 97

[\]^_` are 91-96

So we can do tow passes [A-Z] and [a-z] instead of using the array
suggested earlier.

Sub TTF3()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Dim myArray As Variant
Dim i As Long
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
With oRng.Find
.MatchWildcards = True
.Text = "[A-Z]"
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
.Text = "[a-z]"
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Hmm...learning as I go. We can combine the two ranges A-Z and a-z in
one pass:

Sub TTF2()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
With oRng.Find
.MatchWildcards = True
.Text = "[A-Za-z]"
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "FairScrollDisplay"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Cooz,

Not sqaubbling, I poked you in the eye for improper testing and it is
only fair to be poked back. ;-)

I have used the range [A-z] many times in find and replace and I was
never stung until today. The fact that these six characters will creep
in isn't covered in friend Graham Mayor's article on using: wildcards:
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

He is probably reading this thread but I plan to mention it to him off
line just the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

*From* the tooth fairy.

"Greg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well touche. I suppose we have both learned a lesson of the importance
of testing. Good thing this was just a letter to the tooth fairy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

We keep each other alert. Nothing wrong with that. I must have had a
momentary lapse of about everything when I suggested the macro I suggested -
and boy, do I regret it.

Cooz
--

"Greg" wrote:

Cooz,

Not sqaubbling, I poked you in the eye for improper testing and it is
only fair to be poked back. ;-)

I have used the range [A-z] many times in find and replace and I was
never stung until today. The fact that these six characters will creep
in isn't covered in friend Graham Mayor's article on using: wildcards:
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

He is probably reading this thread but I plan to mention it to him off
line just the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Hi Greg,

It's me again.

I find that recording a simple macro functions perfectly as a placeholder:
"Hey, user! Type/Paste here!" The macro is selected as soon as the VBA-editor
is open.
Most users haven't ever seen the VBA-editor and do not desire to see it.
Now, they can put in their code and leave it, and be certain that it is in
the right place.

"Press Alt+F11" doesn't do that.

Cooz

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Cooz,

I suppose everyone has an opinion. Personnally I think your suggested
method risks insulting the intelligence of some users. It's like
saying "Here, do this ... because I doubt the you care about the
details (or worse, because I doubt that you are bright enough to grasp
the details).

Remember, give the man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach the man to
fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Yeah...
I've been pondering this, and I think in the future I'll refer to the
websites you mentioned earlier. That 'll do.

Thanx,
Cooz
--

"Greg" wrote:

Cooz,

I suppose everyone has an opinion. Personnally I think your suggested
method risks insulting the intelligence of some users. It's like
saying "Here, do this ... because I doubt the you care about the
details (or worse, because I doubt that you are bright enough to grasp
the details).

Remember, give the man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach the man to
fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Good O'

Now how about that hint regarding your post script ;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Like Suzanne Barnhill says elsewhe
"Nah, he's trying to get recognition as a Most Valuable Poster (or whatever
the stupid ranking system in the Communities is)."

"Greg" wrote:

Good O'

Now how about that hint regarding your post script ;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Don't hold your breath, though. I don't use the Communities interface, so I
could be wrong, but I'm not aware that this point system is actually being
implemented. It was one of those "good ideas" that may have fallen through
the cracks because it probably requires human intervention to carry through,
and there are not enough manhours to do it.

"Greg" wrote:

Good O'

Now how about that hint regarding your post script ;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Thank you Suzanne.
So I may drop the PS if it in, say, 2009 still has not had any effect. :-)