Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharron Sharron is offline

Default how can I remove the widow/orphan control?

I am preparing the final formatting for my doctoral dissertation. The margins
must be set at 1.5-in. left side; 1.0-in. top, bottom, and right side. In
addition, the bottom margins should be as close as possible to 1 in., but not
smaller than 1 in. Bottom margins must be 1-in. regardless of the paragraph
break. "Therefore, you should remove the widow/orphan control in your word
processing program so that each page has text to the bottom margin" (as cited
in the applied disseration style guide).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Format Paragraph panel for each style you use, second tab,
uncheck the Widows & Orphans box. Precisely how you get to it depends
on your version of Word.

If you've already typed the whole thing and this is the only problem,
select the entire document (Ctrl-A), open the Format Paragraph
panel, and uncheck that box. (Immediately click somewhere in the
document to unselect the entire thing!)