rocketman60

Default Opening Word attachments

We recently installed Exchange and Outlook 2003 in our office and several
people are having a problem with Word attachments. The problem is that they
will get an e-mail with several Word attachments and every time they open one
of the attachments, another new session of Word opens. When I say session I
mean Word opens again instead of just opening a new document window. I know
this because I can choose File, Exit and the only window that closes is the
current window. Any ideas? O, we are using Word XP.
Graham Mayor

Train the staff to save the documents to the hard drive before opening them,
or next they'll be complaining they have lost their edits. It is bad
practice to open documents directly from Outlook attachments.

rocketman60 wrote:
We recently installed Exchange and Outlook 2003 in our office and
several people are having a problem with Word attachments. The
problem is that they will get an e-mail with several Word attachments
and every time they open one of the attachments, another new session
of Word opens. When I say session I mean Word opens again instead of
just opening a new document window. I know this because I can choose
File, Exit and the only window that closes is the current window.
Any ideas? O, we are using Word XP.

AA2e72E

I believe that Outlook is create an instance of WORD as an automation server.
Therefore, new sessions of Word will open.

Why is this a problem?

If there is a problem, you can save the attachments to a specified location
and then open each file in an existing WORD session.

"rocketman60" wrote:

We recently installed Exchange and Outlook 2003 in our office and several
people are having a problem with Word attachments. The problem is that they
will get an e-mail with several Word attachments and every time they open one
of the attachments, another new session of Word opens. When I say session I
mean Word opens again instead of just opening a new document window. I know
this because I can choose File, Exit and the only window that closes is the
current window. Any ideas? O, we are using Word XP.

rocketman60

It's not really a problem except that it seems that it's happening on only
about 25% of the systems. And they are receiving the error message,
""Unexpected error; quitting" every time they open an attachment. They can
click Ok and it opens the document but it's aggravating every time it
happens.

"rocketman60" wrote:

We recently installed Exchange and Outlook 2003 in our office and several
people are having a problem with Word attachments. The problem is that they
will get an e-mail with several Word attachments and every time they open one
of the attachments, another new session of Word opens. When I say session I
mean Word opens again instead of just opening a new document window. I know
this because I can choose File, Exit and the only window that closes is the
current window. Any ideas? O, we are using Word XP.

rocketman60

Graham, I know it's bad practice but we are a law firm and a good portion of
our attached documents are never edited, only printed. And we are using
Worldox, a Document Management System, and to fill out a complete profile for
every attachment then just print it would, I am afraid, drive the secretaries
over the edge. And I know there is something wrong as only about 25% of the
systems act this way and they receive a "Unexpected error; quitting" message.

rocketman60 wrote:
We recently installed Exchange and Outlook 2003 in our office and
several people are having a problem with Word attachments. The
problem is that they will get an e-mail with several Word attachments
and every time they open one of the attachments, another new session
of Word opens. When I say session I mean Word opens again instead of
just opening a new document window. I know this because I can choose
File, Exit and the only window that closes is the current window.
Any ideas? O, we are using Word XP.

Graham Mayor

The accumulation of crashed temp files will not be helping
With Word closed, check for orphan files -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
See also http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm
which should cover the crashes themselves.