Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] thinds66@yahoo.com is offline

Default Fitting text into a shape (AutoShape?)

Hi Folks,

I think I should be able to do this, but I'm having trouble, so now I'm
doubting it can be done.

I want to enter text that fills a specific shape, automatically
following the left and right sides of that shape. In this example, the
shape is a shell.

So, I inserted the picture of the shell into Word and set the wrapping
style of the picture to "behind text." Next, I inserted an AutoShape of
a pentagon over the shell (it was the closest match), I chose the
option to "Word wrap text in AutoShape", and then set all internal
margins to 0".

The resulting text stays within the autoshape, but doesn't follow the
shape. I expected the left and right margins for each line to be angled
like the shape. Instead, the text shows up as a square box within the
autoshape.

Can I make the text fill the shell automatically?

Thanks,
- T

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, there's no way to do this. Word inserts a text box in your AutoShape,
and it's always rectangular. There ARE ways to constrain text to a
particular shape, but they're time-consuming. Your best bet in this case
might be to use a text box larger than your graphic, center the text, and
insert line breaks (Shift+Enter) as needed to make the lines fit the
underlying shape.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] thinds66@yahoo.com is offline

Hi Suzanne.

I say Yucko to MS for not having that functionality. :-(
But, I appreciate your reply and your workaround!
I should be able to do it this way.

Thanks for the help!!
- T

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote: